Uninsulated cold air return in garage

Old 01-24-18, 02:53 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Uninsulated cold air return in garage

I have a heat pump that the air handler sits on a platform in the garage. It takes up the whole end of the garage and its a lot of wasted space. I decided to cut a hole in the drywall and see if I could use some of it for storage. Once cut out I see there is no insulation in the top or wall facing the garage just drywall. Should I get a 3.5 inch roll of batts and insulate the top and side wall? I will run a couple of doors on the two entry points and put foam board over them to insulate these points. Is this normal?

Attached Images     
Old 01-24-18, 08:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I'm not completely understanding the issue. I see the unit sitting on a platform.
I see that large flex line. Is that the return line ?

I see pictures of what looks like a crawlspace.
Is that under the platform and is it being used as a return plenum ?

Old 01-24-18, 11:07 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Yes the platform is the return. The builder did not insulate the platform and left big holes in where the lines go through. I now know why when I have a cigar in my garage it permeates the house. I was going to insulate the platform and foam seal where the lines go through. Also if I put in access points its good storage.

Old 01-25-18, 04:14 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Why not rip it out and set the unit on a proper sheet metal box?

Old 01-25-18, 04:17 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
what is the size of the unit and the flex? Is that the only return.

Old 01-25-18, 05:55 AM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Hi edteach.
I'm not an HVAC pro but see some concerns. Being a garage there needs to be a perfect air seal between the garage air and the air you breathe inside the house. When you say cigar smoke in the garage permeates the house I smell a rat, actually a serious code violation. There have been many instances of people forgetting to turn off their vehicles and that exhaust cannot be allowed to get inside.

I'm not sure the people who installed that heat pump were concerned about codes, but I'm not there to look at everything, but you should.

Bud

Old 01-25-18, 07:40 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Looking a little closer..... there must be more than one return. It looks like that flex line dumps into the platform area. I'm guessing there are other lines or returns to the house connected to that platform area too.

Like Bud said.... that needs to be addressed. CO in the house is a real problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: