What should I use to join rigid duct to bathroom vent?

Old 02-07-18, 10:27 AM
Question What should I use to join rigid duct to bathroom vent?

Because there is a flap on the tail of the exhaust vent I cant screw the rigid vent to the exhaust outlet on the fan. Seeing I won't have access to it once the ceiling is drywalled I want to be sure the connection stays put and does not leak moist air into the floor joists.

What is the best method to join rigid duct to bathroom vent?

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-18, 10:37 AM
Group Moderator
I would probably use foil tape.

Old 02-07-18, 12:15 PM
Super Moderator
You're using flex for part of the run? And the vent is going across the ceiling and down the wall? I guess this is a basement? If there's going to be a shower...you're probably going to have a lot of condensation in the bottom of the flex. At least make sure it slopes to the outside...though with the ridges in it, I'm not sure how much that will help.

Old 02-07-18, 01:54 PM
Thanks again Xsleeper.

Gunguy45, yes I plan on using flex for the bottom half. Yes, the vent is going across the floor joists to the bottom of the wall in the basement. I see what you are saying about condensation though. Would I be better off maybe putting a rigid elbow at the bottom where it meets the vent to the outside?

Old 02-07-18, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator
I really can't say. Better would be to use rigid all the way with a slope from an elbow maybe 1/2 way up the wall to the outside vent...IMO of course.

Whatever you do...you better make sure the penetration to the outside is extremely secure. Otherwise you have a built in freeway for mice and other critters. I mean...basically it's thick aluminum foil. They could chew and scratch right though the flex and be in your wall in no time.

Old 02-10-18, 03:49 AM
To secure the ridgid pipe to the exhaust fan at the outlet, look to see which way the flap moves and put small screws in to hold that pipe in place The screws can be put into the area where the flap does not go then tape the connection. I have done this before. Usually the screws can be put in near the top from 10 to 2 o'clock. If you lived in a cold climate I would penetrate the wall asap to prevent condensation in the discharge pipe.

Search this Thread