Relocating ducts and vents while reroofing

Old 03-20-18, 06:09 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Relocating ducts and vents while reroofing

Hi,

I am planning to reroof my house and want to relocate some ducting and vents to the roof. This includes bath, dryer, kitchen hood, and water heater vents. The gas furnace vents seems ok.

When the work was done about 14 years ago, I did not know that it was not done very well. They used flexible aluminum ducting and tape and also exit to the roof at odd places.

I am planning to get the ducting to exit the roof closer or straight out the roof to avoid any twisting or turns.

Any suggestions you may have will be appreciated. Any sites that I can get more information to help me plan.

Thank you for your time and help.

Old 03-21-18, 05:27 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 960 Votes on 882 Posts
Dryer and stove exhaust vent ducting must be galvanized steel and smooth wall is best. This is to contain a fire within the duct. Flexible or aluminum duct is prohibited by code for those two uses. Bath exhaust vents can use flex but again rigid is best as it offers better airflow.

One bad thing with routing dryer exhaust to the roof is that lint can collect on the shingles and be unsightly. If it's on the back side of the roof where it's not visible it might not be an issue for you.

Old 03-21-18, 03:21 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your response and will keep that in mind.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: