Dryer Vented Though Attic to Gable End - location of duct question

Old 04-11-18, 12:54 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dryer Vented Though Attic to Gable End - location of duct question

I recently purchased an old house and unfortunately, they vented dryer into the attic. The rigid 4" vent pipe just ends right above the ceiling joist/insulation. It is about 12 feet from the gable end of the house so I was planning to extend the 4" rigid duct from it's present location to a proper dryer vent located on the end of the house.

I've done some research and it looks like I'm fine with regard to the total feet even including the 90 degree bend that I'll need.

My question is, is there an optimum location for the duct? Should I run it along the joists or should I extend the duct higher into the attic and then run it along the rafters, or should I run it more in the middle of the two and support it with straps?

Thanks!

Old 04-11-18, 01:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,910 Upvotes on 1,716 Posts
I would run it right along the attic floor so that it could be kept covered by insulation. It may also help if you use 2 adjustable elbows to make your 90. Adjust them so you are putting two 45s together. Do this with rigid pipe and tape the seams with foil tape. Then cover with insulation.

Old 04-11-18, 01:44 PM
B
Received 47 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Don't see a climate location, but if you are in a really cold area you will want good insulation and tip that duct in the attic so any condensation runs to the gable exit.

Bud

Old 04-11-18, 01:52 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you both for the quick reply. I'm in GA - about 40 miles south of Atlanta. We don't have a lot of cold weather but we do have some.

I'll probably insulate the rigid duct from the point it enters the attic to the vent on the outside just to be safe.

Old 04-11-18, 03:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
There are two sides of the coin. Tape the joints well with foil.... or don't.

Any dryer ductwork longer than a few feet needs to be cleaned every year.... depending on dryer usage. The foil tape although the best for the connection.... can be impossible to remove making cleaning a problem.

My connections are all foil taped except for the one 90 at the junction of the vertical and horizontal runs.

Old 12-20-18, 02:21 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
to a proper dryer vent
You are good with this, dont want to just have it venting inside the attic, all that moisture and lent, get it outside!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: