Timed Home Ventilaton not working

Old 08-21-18, 12:02 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Timed Home Ventilaton not working

Hi
I have a Ruud gas furnace and a heating system in my townhouse. Have not added an air conditioning system yet.

There is a timer attached to the outside of the furnace and it turns on the fan and provides ventilation inside the townhouse every hour or so. I can hear the fan running on a regular basis to provide ventilation even when the heater is not running (as is the case right now during summer months)

I noticed that the ventillation has not been running at all in the last few days. I don't know if I pressed the wrong button on the control panel in the living room. I even tried to move the fan setting from "auto" to "on" but it still does not run the fan

I checked the circuit board and it is not tripped

Is it broken?

Does timed venitlation run if there is no air conditioning system and the home temperature is over the settingin the thermostat?

Last edited by Jayad; 08-21-18 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-21-18, 04:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,321 Votes on 1,221 Posts
Try running the heat and see if the blower comes on with that.
There only needs to be a two wire connection to the furnace for the blower to operate. Basically it's a short across the R and the G terminal on the furnace control board.

You can test this yourself by removing the blower door, holding the safety switch in and shorting from R to G. Nothing needs to be disconnected for the test.

Old 08-21-18, 06:04 PM
J
Thank you PjMax. I tried to run the heat (without air conditioning, the inside temperature in the living room is 77 right now, and I cranked up the thermostat to 85 heat but no luck. Blower did not come on.

The R and G terminal test is way over my head. I wouldn't even know where to look, and if it is a bad board, I wouldn't know how to fix it. I looked and could not tell where the safety switch is and where the R and G terminals are...

I have an HVAC gentleman coming in this week to do an estimate for a new air conditioning system, so I should probably have him service the blower as well, and see if he can fix it, because the furnace system is probably due for routine maintenance (I recently moved and I don't know if any maintenance has been done in the past 4 years since the house was built).

How quickly does the air quality go bad if the system is not ventilating every few hours? It is hot out there and I have the windows closed during the day. I do open the windows early in the morning and run a box fan to move the air around....

Old 08-21-18, 07:03 PM
Group Moderator
Most people don't have their system set to circulate the air.
If they do have their system circulate air it's only to try and equalize temperatures throughout the house.

Old 08-21-18, 10:15 PM
J
Hi Pete
If the doors and windows are not opened on a regular basis, especially in a newer house where everything is sealed tight, wouldn't the lack of a air circulation system/ventilation system affect air quality?

Old 08-21-18, 11:10 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
wouldn't the lack of a air circulation system/ventilation system affect air quality?
A furnace does not normally draw in outside air so running it won't help draw in outside air.

Old 08-22-18, 05:40 PM
J
A furnace does not normally draw in outside air so running it won't help draw in outside air.
Hi, I had the HVAC technician look at the system. He said there is a duct that is connected to the outside that brings in outside air for ventilation (with a valve type setting), so it must have been something that the builder added.

The technician was here to do a quick estimate of the cost of installing an AC unit and coil to the existing furnace system and did not have the time or tools to test why the blower was not working. They will be in in about a week to install the AC and take a look at the blower as well.

Last edited by PJmax; 08-22-18 at 06:47 PM. Reason: removed new system info
Old 08-22-18, 06:43 PM
Group Moderator
I didn't realize you had two similar threads going. I removed your mention of pricing of your new system and I moved the reply I had here to the other thread.

We'll keep the pricing and discussion of the new system in the other thread.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: