Propping Open Manual Damper

Old 10-14-18, 08:31 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Propping Open Manual Damper

Hi everyone,

I searched the forum for this and found a similar thread from 2002, and decided not to start a new one.

I have a finished basement with a manual damper that is set in the closed position. I cannot reach the manual switch and the panel that controls it is inoperative.

I need to open up this damper, and I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to prop it open somehow. I can reach the damper through the duct.
The duct is laid horizontally, so gravity cannot be of assistance for this one. Is there a type of heat/fire resistant metal/rubber that I can use to keep this flap open? Or is there another way?

I'm really trying to keep from opening up the ceiling because even though I know where the damper is, I don't know where the switch is for it. I assume it's adjacent to the switch, but I'm not sure which side.

Old 10-14-18, 10:58 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

We cannot help you unless we know what it is you are working on.
A manual damper shouldn't have any type of remote control or wiring or a switch.
Pictures may help...... How-to-insert-pictures

Old 10-14-18, 01:22 PM
L

Pictures may be a little difficult since the damper in question is buried in the ceiling and requires a mirror to see.
Here's a picture of a similar damper, however the module on the side is a bit different, but it's basically the same concept. On mine, I can control how open or closed I want the flap to be.

I have 2 zoned dampers in the basement. I can access one of them and get to the module to keep the flap open. The other damper is enclosed in the ceiling and stuck in the closed position. I cannot access the black control module to open up the flap because the previous homeowners who installed the duct system did not allow for access to this damper.
We've recently changed our heating system and eliminated the zoning system that was in place. The heating company removed the old control panel that controlled this damper before moving it to the open position, so now it's permanently closed.

We really don't want to cut holes in the ceiling to try and locate the control module. We were wondering if there was a way to prop open that flap permanently without damaging the ceiling or the damper.

Old 10-14-18, 02:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
If you can get to the wiring where it was connected to the zoning panel you could get it open.
Your HVAC company should have done this for you.

As far as I know....there would be no way to reach thru the duct to open it. You'd have to force it open breaking the connection to the gearbox.

Old 10-14-18, 03:07 PM
L
Yeah, they should have, but we didn't realize it until it was too late

I can reach the damper with my arm and push the flap open, but since it's spring loaded, it automatically closes. Is there something specially made that I could use like a metal rod or something to keep the flap open?

Old 10-14-18, 04:05 PM
T
Received 4 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Rather than prop it open, and because you can reach it, could you just snip the damper out with some cutters?

Old 10-14-18, 08:16 PM
L
Hmm, didn't even think of that

Old 10-15-18, 05:50 AM
B
Received 292 Upvotes on 259 Posts
Get a spring clamp that fits inside the duct. With the damper disc open, place the spring clamp on the disc. The disc will remain at the position where the spring clamp meets the duct.

Old 10-15-18, 06:21 AM
L
That's a great solution I hadn't thought of! That might do the trick. Thank you!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: