Moving woodstove heated air

Old 12-30-18, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moving woodstove heated air

I have a ranch home with a full basement. We have about 1650 sqft on the upper floor where the woodstove is located. I am trying to get woodstove heat to the back three bedrooms and my bathroom/closet area.

I have a vaulted ceiling in the dining room area where the woodstove is located. I cut a 12x12 hole in the peak of the ceiling by the woodstove, I attached a 10" elbow with 10" flex running about 18', at that point I put an inline fan in (10" 650 cfm). I go from the fan to an 10"X8"x8", from that I connect 8"x6"x6" and another 8"x6"x6". The four 6" go to my rooms at the other end of the house. With the woodstove pumping out heat I only get air flow to my closest room, the other three I don't feel any heat or air flow. I am debating if I need a more powerful 10" fan or add 6" fans to all the runs in the house?

I would love some assistance, thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-30-18, 09:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 345 Votes on 323 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Don't forget..... hot air rises so if you aren't taking cold air out of the rooms.... there isn't much place for the warm air to go. You need a lot or airflow to make a difference in your application.

Old 12-31-18, 05:52 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
A blade fan is probably not the type of fan you need to move heated air through a duct. That 10 round duct is probably way too small to move enough air to do any good. Please post the name and model number of the fan used. If the fan used is a bladed fan, they usually move a lot of air but with very little pressure. Post a couple pictures if you can.

Old 12-31-18, 05:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 199 Votes on 184 Posts
10" duct will handle a fair bit of air but you need the right blower. A inline bladed fan just won't cut it. You need a squirrel cage blower which will be able to generate some pressure to force the air long distance in a duct.

Old 12-31-18, 06:53 AM
Yes it's a cheap bladed fan.

I have the cheap 55 dollar in line fan from the home depot. I agree i need to upgrade, any suggestions on what fan? I was looking at the active air 10" inline fan???

Old 12-31-18, 10:29 AM
You can go to the web site "wiki.ezvid,com" and read about various fans that are available for purchase. The Tjernlund M-10 may be a good choice. I have no experience with any of the fans mentioned. This may be a good place to start your search. Backward curved fans feature a high static pressure but may be too noisy. You could also try" Industrialfansdirect.com"

Old 12-31-18, 10:49 AM
Received 24 Votes on 20 Posts
Ever seen old houses where each bedroom has a transom vent for airflow?

If you can, I'd consider that. Otherwise, perhaos basic air vents in the floors of the rooms to allow cold air to leave so that in winter you can push warm air into the rooms... Also allows you to reverse things to pull cool basement air up in summer.

Old 01-02-19, 04:48 AM
You could move the wood stove to the basement somewhere near a chimney and "cut in " a return from the return air of the furnace to just above the heater. Then you could run the furnace fan 24/7 to circulate the mixed air to all the rooms. Just a thought. I did this 40+ years ago and it worked.

Old 01-02-19, 05:30 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Steamboy View Post
You can go to the web site "wiki.ezvid,com" and read about various fans that are available for purchase. The Tjernlund M-10 may be a good choice. I have no experience with any of the fans mentioned. This may be a good place to start your search. Backward curved fans feature a high static pressure but may be too noisy. You could also try" Industrialfansdirect.com"
This is an excellent fan. My house has a small upper floor (two bedrooms and a bath), a main floor, and a basement where the furnace is located. The vents on the top floor all had very low air flow, and were consistently hotter in the summer and colder in the winter than the rest of the house. The day before I intstalled this fan, the bedrooms upstairs were 90 degrees, with the thermostat (located on the main floor) set at 78. I installed one Tjernlund m-10 with a wye pipe so it boosted the air flow to both bedrooms. I wired the fan to come on with the main furnace fan. As of right now the thermostat on the main floor is set at 79, and the two upstairs bedrooms are 77.9, and 79.1 degrees. This fan completely balanced my main and second floors. I was considering having a second air conditioning system installed for the upper floor, but this worked perfectly for much less money!