Where should my exhaust air exchange vent be?

Old 01-22-19, 04:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where should my exhaust air exchange vent be?

Hi,
I was wondering where the ideal place to put an air exhaust for my air exchanger is? I already have dedicated exhaust fans in bathrooms and kitchen.
Someone suggested the hallway between bedrooms on the main floor but I was wondering if the basement would be a good idea? On my existing forced air system, I have no cold air return ducts in the basement... they are all on the main floor. so if i place my air exchange vent down there it could get some of that stale air moving maybe. Any advantages/disadvantages to having the air exchange exhaust in the basement? Thank you

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-19, 06:00 PM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
As a general rule a return air vent is not put in the basement because it takes away from the combustion air used for the burners unless you bring in outside air for combustion. A small add on return cut in somewhere might be fine but a main return might be a little much plus as you said it would be moving the stale air which would end up in the living space.

Just my opinion, hope it helps a little.

Old 01-22-19, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the information. . forgot to add though that Its an electric furnace so no combustion air. And its a return on the HRV air exchanger I would be installing so the stale air gets blown outside, and fresh air comes in the plenum to be redistributed in living spaces

Old 01-22-19, 10:08 PM
Received 15 Votes on 15 Posts
Sorry for the misunderstanding. That's completely different. I though you meant return air for a furnace.