Heating two floors using a mini split heat pump?

Old 03-11-19, 08:23 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Heating two floors using a mini split heat pump?

I am trying to use a mini split heat pump to heat my basement and more rooms in my house by adding a few ducts. I know they have dual head mini split but I don't have the extra budget since they cost almost double the price around where I live.

Can anyone suggest how I could achieve this.
Where would you install the heat pump wall mount, first floor or basement?
Since there is no furnace, would I just connect all the ducts to one in-line fan?

Old 03-12-19, 06:54 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
I live in Maine and have a heat pump heat and cool the upstairs living area. I was concerned about the basement and whole house heating with just a heat pump, so I did some research and decided to install a Rinnai gas heater in the basement. I insulated the basement wall, and keep the heater at 52. THis keeps the basment about 50, heats the floors to 50 so I have a delta t of 16 degrees (66 hp setting) to keep the heat pump in the winter. January gas and electric bill is high but reasonable.

Old 03-14-19, 04:40 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Dual head will work fine. Just remember that the ducted models can't move a lot of air through a lot of duct. The runs will have to be short. You can hang or set the outdoor unit just about any place. FYI all brands don't heat the same make sure you get a unit that heats well

Old 03-14-19, 06:52 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
As with all heating and cooling systems how well they work is directly related to how well the home is air sealed and insulated. Take those two improvements to a higher level and you will be impressed and it will affect the decision you are pondering now.

Bud

Old 03-14-19, 10:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,525 Votes on 1,408 Posts
The OP does not want to use a second head. He's asking about ductwork attached to one head to cover two floors. I don't think it will be very practical as those unit don't have a lot of spare air power.

Old 03-15-19, 08:18 AM
V
So far I was thinking of placing a 'compact duct unit' in the basement, underneath the main floor. And putting an in-line fan to move more air in the ducts.

Old 03-15-19, 09:28 AM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Booster fans don't work because you have to have the air to pull from. If the main blower can't get enough air then it will never work.

Fujitsu has a high static drive unit out. Probably the only thing that will be close to working. Look at a two head model. That will work.

Old 03-15-19, 12:28 PM
V
Would an in-line fan 'before' the main blower help?
I found a few ducted unit with higher static pressure (like 0.8" w.g.) but I don't know if the outdoor units are variable speed for those. I want newer technology that works at very low temperature since it can go down to -35F here sometimes.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: