Ceiling returns or another place?

Old 03-12-19, 06:03 AM
Ceiling returns or another place?

Hi All,

Son's new house has upstairs heated and cooled by attic unit (gas hot air).
All supply ducts run to ceiling registers; no returns in any room (6 if my memory is right).

Only return is in the central hall 16" x 32" that is directly below unit in attic via duct board box. York unit has 75K btu input on it.

He wants to install returns for each room but we are confused about best way:
Ceiling
Return in ceiling about 10' away from supply registers. Concern: Does the air (especially in winter during heating) just exit the supply and run along the ceiling and exit via the return and not "mix" with rest of room's air?
Wall
Cut a hole in both sides of wall communicates with the central hall and place a register on both sides to let room air be sucked by return in ceiling of central hall. Concern: Loss of privacy with anyone in hall hearing any sounds from bedroom?

If you suggest ceiling as best way, how critical is sizing of the return duct (round)? If room supplied by say a 6" round, would a 6" round be best for return or does size have to up or down vs supply dimension?

If wall, again, how large a hole/grill size to cut for?

Any other suggestions/thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-19, 06:27 AM
He wants to install returns for each room but we are confused about best way:
So my question is why?

I've had homes with central and individual returns and never found one to be better than the other!

Old 03-12-19, 11:48 AM
Because when they close the bedroom doors, they get little to no heat in the room and they prefer to be able to shut their door.

Old 03-12-19, 12:55 PM
The bottom of the doors should be trimmed with enough gap to allow return air to flow to the hall. Calculate the square inches of gap to match the free square inches of the supply register. If supply is at the ceiling then return should be low to get proper air mixing in the room.

Old 03-13-19, 03:32 AM
Seems the wife has already down voted that idea.

Old 03-13-19, 04:20 AM
Group Moderator
Well, since she seems to be in charge, what does she want?

Old 03-13-19, 04:28 AM
Group Moderator
My house has 9' ceilings so there is a bit more room above the doors and I have registers. I installed them offset. The ones above the outside of the door is a couple inches above the door while the opposite one on the inside is a couple inches from the ceiling. There is no direct view through them and I painted the inside of the joist bay flat black so almost no light makes it through. I ordered sound deadening egg crate style foam online and lined the part of the joist bay that is not visible. With no straight path for sound and the sound foam it works reasonably well. It won't stop a teenager blasting their stereo or video game but that's what headphones are for.

Old 03-13-19, 06:07 AM
Its more what she does not want vs what is wanted (happy wife, happy life).

Seems like the ceiling is the path forward.
Son said looks like 6" flex duct supply in attic so I guess 6" return to match?

Old 03-13-19, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
Where is the air filter for your system? You don't want to allow unfiltered air to enter and clog the coil.

Old 03-13-19, 10:24 AM
You could open up a wall and place a return grill on either side to allow air flow when a door is closed!

Old 03-13-19, 10:30 AM
You could open up a wall and place a return grill on either side
If you do that the grille in the bedroom should be low on the wall and the one in the hall should be high. Air will flow through the wall cavity (assuming no insulation or blocking.)

Offsetting the grilles will avoid light shining through and will reduce sound transmission. Painting behind the openings black and adding sound foam will also help a lot.

Old 03-14-19, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. It will work for rooms with enough wall space common with the central hall but not for all of them (a strange layout with angled walls).