mobilehome heating and air re do

Old 03-31-19, 02:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
mobilehome heating and air re do

Hello...WE live in a single wide mobile home. 1998. It has the square type heating and air under the floor. Over the years it has just become awful and we are cooling and heating under the house more than inside. We have tried several things to fix it. Taped up holes and filled them with stuff to stop up holes. I want to change the whole thing and just put flexable duct work under the house and new registers in because it has all fell out mostly. Any suggestions? I went to Home Depot and got 4 in registers and looking at R8 flex duct work. It looks very well insulated and is better than the R6 I looked at. I am looking at the 4in duct work to go with the registers that will be in the floors. Will someone tell me if I am on the right track or not. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-19, 03:34 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 620 Votes on 573 Posts
Replacing with flex certainly is an option. 4" is pretty small. I'd consider 6" to be a more standard size for a register. You don't want to go small on flex because the rough shape on the inside causes more resistance to airflow than your nice and smooth sheet metal ducts.

Make sure you properly attach the flex duct. I use a high quality 3M tape (don't go cheap here) that has an aluminized layer and has held up well for years. Pull back the outer plastic and fiberglass layers a foot and tape the inner tube to your duct. Then fold the insulation and outer plastic back into place and tape to the register. Make sure you properly support the duct runs. The plastic webbing sold for the job works well and is easy to install.

Old 03-31-19, 03:41 PM
The holes in the floor are 4in. Is there a way to put in bigger duct work like 6 in or 8 in? I do lots of things but this will be a first for me. I have to use the size registers that will fit the holes. That is the reason why I was looking at 4 in duct work. Nevermind. I said I hadn't done this before so excuse my being foggy in the head. I just realized that the register is pretty much the same size except for the part the duct work will attach too. Boy do I feel stupid.

Last edited by Lawanna73; 03-31-19 at 04:15 PM. Reason: I'm stupid
Old 04-01-19, 02:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
You are confusing the duct size with the vent size. The MHs I've lived in use a rectangular aluminum duct, approximately 4"x10" Is the main duct leaking or just where it branches off above it to each register?

Old 04-01-19, 06:03 PM
The entire aluminum run from one end to the other is in bad shape. Got thousands of holes in it, also at one time a cat got up in it and would come up in the vents. It has come apart in places. We have to cut out all the old and put in new stuff. I spoke to a mobilehome parts place today and they told me we shouldn't put in the flexible duct. We need to use hard pipe? WE are going to have to replace all the vents and all the duct work no matter what we use. I just need to find out from someone if we can use the flexible duct. I've seen where it has been done but just don't know since we have the split system. So want to get the right answers so we can get started on this

Old 04-02-19, 03:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 316 Votes on 280 Posts
I've only seen the flexible duct used to connect the trunk line with the vents. The trunk is always metal or fiberglass board [?] I wouldn't think the type of forced air system would make any difference in how the ductwork is run. BUT, I'm a painter not an HVAC guy.