Exhaust fan's duct placement

Old 03-31-19, 07:40 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exhaust fan's duct placement

Hi guys, is that ok that the placement of the duct's end in the outside wall is higher than the fan itself? Will not the condensed water stay in the duct that way? I already have a 4 duct connected to the kitchen fan and it is running about 10 above the place where Im planning to install the bathroom fan. Can I connect bathroom fan to that duct? Thank you.

Old 03-31-19, 09:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,049 Upvotes on 3,632 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's not the best situation to have the exhaust vent higher than the unit but some times it's unavoidable. The kitchen duct won't usually sweat but the bathroom one will. The bathroom fan should be using an insulated duct if it's running thru a cold zone like an attic.

However.... you cannot join the kitchen and bathroom together to one outlet. They must remain separate. 4" sounds small for a kitchen exhaust hood. It's typically 4x10 or 6"-8" round.

Old 04-01-19, 02:25 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you for your timely response, Pete. It is indeed unavoidable and unusual situation since the bathroom has been built/nested inside the huge kitchen space, in the high ceiling apartment where the kitchen duct is lying right on the bathroom's fake ceiling. All I need to do is just to make an opening in the ceiling under the existing duct.
And, you’re absolutely correct; the diameter of the kitchen duct is 6”, not 4”. So, I cannot join two units to one outlet because it is not possible technically or for some other reasons?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: