Attic fan

Old 04-03-19, 07:41 AM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Attic fan

I have a newer home (four years old), and the attic gets hot in the summer months. I haven't measured it, but I basically start sweating the moment I go into the attic.

I have two gable vents (one at each end of the house), a ridge vent and soffit vents.

The attic square footage is 2150 and the attic is 10 feet to the ridge, with blown-in insulation.

I'm thinking of putting an 1650cfm attic exhaust fan over the south end gable vent, to push out the hot air whenever it gets above 100°F, for two reasons. First, to reduce the "wear and tear" on the roof. And second, to possibly save some cooling costs in the summer months.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Or is this a good idea? I read opinions on both sides of the issue and thought I would get opinions here. Thanks!

Old 04-24-19, 12:47 PM
Received 161 Upvotes on 147 Posts
Hi, a roofer told me not to install gable vents when there was a ridge vent and soffit venting. I had a definite mold problem on the underside of the decking as a result of gable venting.
Geo

Old 04-24-19, 05:19 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Even the best ventilated attic is a inferno on a sunny summer's day. I have rental houses that have no attic ventilation and I have not noticed any difference in roof life versus those with ventilation. Shingle quality and environment seem to have more affect. If you are concerned about your cooling costs don't forget the energy cost to run the fan year after year. That money could be spent on added insulation.

Old 04-25-19, 06:05 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Cover the gable vents and let the ridge vent do it's job.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: