Can you insulate around a bathroom ventilation fan/light/heater?

Old 04-15-19, 06:56 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can you insulate around a bathroom ventilation fan/light/heater?

I'm installing a Delta Breez bathroom ventilation fan, light, and heater. The instructions say do not install in ceiling with insulation greater than R-40 (This is required for installations in Canada only) have no idea what that means. No where in the instructions does it say if it can come into contact with insulation or how close it can be mounted to a ceiling joist. I never installed a bathroom vent fan with a heater in it before so I'm not sure just how hot the metal box is going to get once the heater turns on. I tried calling Delta but the person I talked to was clueless about installations. Has anyone installed one of these units before who could give me some advice?

Old 04-15-19, 06:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 324 Votes on 278 Posts
In the past, you were required to keep insulation 3" away from the heater. This may have changed as they did with can lights which also had the same requirement back in the day.

I also looked at the instructions and I also did not see any note about insulation touching the unit, except for the R40 note. It does say that it is thermally protected. If there is no mention of it on the unit or the installation instructions, then I would say you are OK to have insulation touching the unit.

Old 04-16-19, 05:32 AM
Received 89 Votes on 84 Posts
Hi, if your R factor is less than R40 you should be fine no matter where you are, worst case I would think would be the thermal protector would open.
Geo

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: