HVAC for a studio - advice needed!

Old 05-08-19, 02:02 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HVAC for a studio - advice needed!

Hi,First up, I'm new here, so be gentle!
I have constructed a small studio in my garage (512 cubic feet) which is heavily insulated and basically soundproof. When in use, it is also pretty much sealed. Currently, in use, it gets hot and stuffy very quickly!
Ok, so I need to circulate (and preferably cool) air in and out of the studio, without also allowing external noise in (or the solution creating noise).I have added vents which are then hooked up to 6-inch insulated, flexible hoses, 25ft long, that have a couple of bends in them to prevent sound ingress - works like a charm.
HOWEVER
I purchased a 6-inch duct "booster" fan and it hardly seems to move any air at all. I am assuming that the problem is that the flexible hoses, with bends, are providing too much resistance. I am on a limited budget, so can't afford to keep trying different options until something works. Can anyone suggest a type of fan that would be able to provide a reasonable airflow (remember the flexible hoses, with bends!)?
Should I be looking at pure cfm ratings, or is there another specification that would indicate ability to overcome the resistance? I've seen a couple of units on Amazon which offer flow rates of around 400-450cfm, but I don't know if that means in "free air" or with ducting. I also don't know if those figures would result in a gentle breeze or a full-scale hurricane!
Should I consider an 8-inch fan and reducer? or would it be better to stick with a 8-inch model?
Secondly, I would like to put in place some kind of cooling. I'm considering a portable air-conditioner, but I can't put it in the studio due to noise. If I were to put it inside a box of some kind and then (using the ducting and blowers above) circulate the air between the Studio and the box, would I risk wrecking the Air-Con unit? I can't tie into the household HVAC and I can't afford to install a split unit.
Any and all suggestions welcome!
Thank you,
Paul

Old 05-09-19, 05:21 AM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
You can't move air with any resistance with a prop fan. Once you add resistance the cfm is gone. You will need like a backward curve fan to move the air.

Old 05-09-19, 07:58 AM
Received 14 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Look into Fantech inline fans. Their centrifugal fans are exactly what you need, and they are fairly quiet. One place that sells them is Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Fantech-FR-15...s%2C154&sr=8-4

Andy

Old 05-09-19, 01:24 PM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thank you, both of you!

I'm hearing from a few people that Centrifugal fans are the way forward, so it looks like that will be my next move.

Any thoughts on the cooling issue?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: