Propper microwave kitchen fan exhaust outside cover

Old 06-23-19, 06:51 PM
Propper microwave kitchen fan exhaust outside cover

My current kitchen exhaust fan cover seems to be stuck closed. The damper doesn't swing nicely anymore. Granted, the air pressure from my microwave isn't great. However, I want to start with installing an appropriate, working outside cover

Currently, I have a something that looks like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Builders-Best...erz_origin3-20

What is commonly used for kitchen/microwave exhaust? Does it need to be metal or can it be a plastic louver? Given my microwave fan power I need something that opens easily.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-19, 11:57 PM
Upvotes Received: 68
I don't recall ever seeing a microwave being ducted unless it was used as a vent hood over a cooktop!

Old 06-24-19, 04:38 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 141
Several different styles of covers are used including the one you linked. Just make sure you get the correct size. 4" is commonly used on clothes dryers but most kitchen exhaust hoods use larger.

Old 06-24-19, 05:28 PM
Ok. this project is evolving to disconnected duct.
I stuck in a small inspection camera and discovered that the duct was disconnected and fell down to inside ceiling. I was able to grab it and positioning it so that probably could install a new extension and cover.

The one I removed came with a 10" sleeve attached. I don't think I woudl be able to install such a model as I am afraid I woudl push back the inside duct or coudl not fix it to the duct.

So, I am thinking that I need a 9"extension, screw from the inside the duct to attach it to existing ducting, then attach cover.

Does this make sense?
What lengths of duct extension to they sell at hardware store?

And then I need to find again a 4" cover. Would this work?
https://www.genuinereplacementparts....SABEgL5YfD_BwE

Also, I had to rest the duct on the truss elements...

Attached Images  
Old 06-25-19, 04:37 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 141
It's pretty rare that you can make up an entire duct run with factory lengths. You might have to cut the duct to the length needed. Use a pair of tin snips on the wide end, non-fluted to cut it to whatever you need.

Old 06-25-19, 07:57 AM
Will do. Went to a big box store for the outside cover. They had the same model that I had, which seems rather cheaper build quality. 4" dia limits the choices. Like a quality flapper with a spring.
There are lots of plastic models as well. Does code generally allow plastic?

Old 06-25-19, 10:12 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 213
Yes.... plastic is allowed for the cover. Typically the damper (door) is just weighted for gravity closing. There usually isn't enough air flow to overcome a spring on the damper.