Ok to feed 4 inch duct to 6 inch in-line booster fan?

Old 06-27-19, 09:56 AM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ok to feed 4 inch duct to 6 inch in-line booster fan?

Hello I have a newly created bathroom in the basement and itís time to finish the ducting of the bathroom fan. I have a ceiling vent fan with a 4 inch outflow duct. I need to run that duct about 25 feet through a joist channel until it will penetrate out the back of the house.

Due to the long run of ducting, and the low CFM of the ceiling vent fan, I was thinking about adding a booster fan (inline duct fan). This would be located in the joist channel, but in an unfinished mechanical room so access to it will always be available.

I guess my question is about duct sizes. Coming out of the bathroom ceiling vent fan is currently a short length of 4 inch duct, but the rest of the run I could step it up to 6 inches... is that good to do? Would that increase overall ventilation and airflow from the bathroom? I noticed that the 6 inch fans are only a few dollars more expensive than the 4 inch fans, so I was wondering if it would make sense to do that and boost up to 6 inches after the existing 4 inch section.

thank you

Old 06-27-19, 01:22 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
the fan will do nothing. You can not push air if no make up air is available.

Old 06-27-19, 06:31 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Iím not sure what you mean because this is for bathroom exhaust so the makeup air will be coming from the bathroom, and under the crack of the door, etc.

I figure that a 6 inch duct has less friction on the air than a 4 inch duct, so it might be beneficial. Could please explain in more detail?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: