House ventilation

Old 08-26-19, 11:39 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
House ventilation

We have a vent pipe for the laundry room space above the ceiling that is 2'' in diameter and NOT covered...Why ? I do not know.. And how much ventilation can come from a 2'' PVC projecting from the roof (roughly 10 by 10 .) .The rain (a heavy rain) can enter thru this vent pipe and do damage, which may have been going on for 20 years ! I bought this house about 10 years ago and complained about the water leak into the laundry room more than once .. The roofing "pros" never covered this 2" vent .. nor did I .. maybe this should be in the roof forum section ?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-19, 12:19 PM
Received 56 Votes on 51 Posts
Is this a statement, a question, or a rant? If you are looking for a solution on how you can correct a problem most likely someone here can help you, but you have to help us help you by providing some details, and in this case it sounds like a picture or two could be beneficial. Houses don't have pipes simply going through the roof for no reason, so something is missing. Is water coming through the pipe into the house or is coming around the pipe? Where does the bottom of the pipe go inside the house? It sounds like it should tie into a waste line, but that's only a guess at this point.

Old 08-28-19, 01:15 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply ..
A combo , primarily a question . My two books say nothing about covering the pipe end - I think it is common sense that it be covered. It is but a 2 inch PVC pipe which seems to ventilate the laundry room ''attic'' . ..The smallest vent cover at Ace is 3" ..maybe 2 inch is sufficient . Sorry no pics, too difficult .. The ''vent pipe'' terminates at the "attic" of the laundry room and ties into nothing . The leak does not originate at the roof - this has been resealed several times and the shingles are new. . It finally rained today and , with the vent pipe outlet covered, there is no leak...