Fix for one room hotter than others

Old 09-02-19, 10:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fix for one room hotter than others

We bought a 1350 square foot house a couple of months ago. The house was built 1994, and it has a Trane central air conditioning unit that's 4 years old.

We have no complaints except in the Master Bedroom. It feels warmer than the rest of the house. I've moved an outdoor thermometer from room to room, and the temperature registers the same throughout the house, but anyone who enters the room can tell the difference in temperature. That makes no sense!

Yesterday, we had a gentleman come out who works for a heating and cooling company. He was nice enough to come on his day off and analyze the problem for us.

He had a gadget that gauged how much air was blowing from the vents. The vent in the laundry room (closest vent to the unit) was blowing at twice the recommended amount. (He told us the recommended amount was about 500. I don't remember what the unit of measure was.)

The vent in the kitchen (the next closest room to the unit) was blowing at about 3 times that recommended amount.

The living room (off the kitchen) was blowing above normal as well.

All of the other rooms (except one family member's bedroom which does not feel hotter than the others) were blowing right at 500. The family member's bedroom was blowing at about 315, but the temperature feels fine in that room.

The gentleman who came out had originally thought dampers might do the trick, but after measuring the air flow, he said he thinks Master Bedroom needs another line off the trunk so that he could add an air vent in the room.

The Master Bedroom is 11X17, and it has just one air vent. However, the living room is much larger than that and has a vaulted ceiling, but just one air vent and is quite comfortable.

The Master Bedroom is the only room in the house that faces South. Don't know if that matters. I've tried closing the blinds and black out curtains to keep it cooler, but that hasn't helped.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what might be done or something we could do ourselves to make the Master Bedroom more comfortable without adding a window unit air conditioner?

Thank you!

Sponsored Links

Popular Reply

09-02-19, 11:09 AM
aka pedro
Received 55 Votes on 50 Posts
He has the advantage of actually being there, but just reading title before getting to the text my mind was already headed there so I think he has you on the right path. Makes perfectly good sense, and even more so when you said that it's the only room that faces south, and a tree or two could possibly help that, but might take a little longer to make a difference. Just for kicks, if it were mine, and consistent with what he told you, I would close the vent in the utility room completely, throttle the one in the kitchen back to maybe half or even a third of what it is now and see what it does. If the vents don't have louvers a couple pieces of cardboard would work for checking it out. And maybe you do need another line, but I'd see what I could with what is there first.

Old 09-02-19, 11:09 AM
Received 55 Votes on 50 Posts
He has the advantage of actually being there, but just reading title before getting to the text my mind was already headed there so I think he has you on the right path. Makes perfectly good sense, and even more so when you said that it's the only room that faces south, and a tree or two could possibly help that, but might take a little longer to make a difference. Just for kicks, if it were mine, and consistent with what he told you, I would close the vent in the utility room completely, throttle the one in the kitchen back to maybe half or even a third of what it is now and see what it does. If the vents don't have louvers a couple pieces of cardboard would work for checking it out. And maybe you do need another line, but I'd see what I could with what is there first.

clancy, PJmax voted this post useful.
Old 09-02-19, 05:14 PM
Thank you for the suggestion. We'll try it right now.

Old 09-02-19, 11:44 PM
Group Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 43 Posts
If you're actually measuring the same temperature in all of the rooms but ones with more airflow out of the vent feel cooler, I would be looking to install a ceiling fan in the bedroom as it sounds like the only difference is how much the air in the room is moving.

Old 09-03-19, 03:13 AM
Received 60 Votes on 57 Posts
AKA Pedro suggestion prompted me think of another alternative that might help if room is facing south. Look at installing an awning for that rooms windows.

clancy voted this post useful.
Old 09-03-19, 05:21 AM
Stickshift, It has a ceiling fan. We can't live without them! Thank you for taking the time to reply though.

Old 09-14-19, 03:03 PM
I noticed in your description, your friend checked the amount of air coming into the room, did he by chance check the temperature comming into the room? It might be that the room is getting air that is a bit warmer than the rest of the ducts.

A couple more questions and a couple of suggestions.

Whats the vent grill like in that room look like? Does it look restrictive? I would like to suggest you off take the grill off of the duct in the hot room. Run that way for a day or two to see if that helps. If it does, try to get a less restrictive grill.

Next question, you keep the hot room doors closed? if so, try keeping them open. If keeping them open helps then google "jump ducts" and see if that might be a solution. as the problem might be that air is stacking up in that room, with no place to go. Note that properly designed and installed jump ducts will not transmit noise

Hope that helps give you some ideas for path to success.