Duct repositioning

Old 09-12-19, 09:34 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Duct repositioning

Was putting the finishing touches on a bedroom remodel, and realized the baseboard trim interferes with the vent cover (6x12).

Appears to be 2 options here...carve out the trim to fit the cover (my idea) or raise the duct opening about an inch (my wife's idea). Guess which option we're going with.....

The duct serves the bedroom, and a bathroom on the other side of the wall. Somehow I would have to raise the bedroom opening, while keeping the bathroom opening as-is.

Is there any simple way to do this?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-19, 11:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 192 Votes on 178 Posts
The simple way is to get a smaller grate or notch the base molding. Moving the duct is a major project as you also have to... just forget about moving the duct.

Old 09-13-19, 04:47 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Cut the base board! An hour project verses a day. But the best way is to ask your wife how she wants it and do it that way.

Old 09-13-19, 04:50 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Ask your wife which way she wants to do it, then let her do it.

Old 09-13-19, 06:31 AM
Received 19 Votes on 15 Posts
It looks like a surface mounted grate that does not rely on duct position for fastening.

I would mount the grate at the top of the baseboard and let it overhang the duct opening at the wall at the top. Painting the inside of the duct and the part of the wall behind the grate flat black will cause the "overhang" to disappear. Black duct tape along that top edge could also help.

Old 09-13-19, 12:22 PM
The grate has a louver...not visible in photo.

Old 09-14-19, 08:12 AM
Received 19 Votes on 15 Posts
I thought it might but could not tell from the photo. I presume the board and rock are covering the inlet from the ductwork and will be removed.

If the louver does not protrude too deeply into the opening, you could enlarge the opening at the top just enough to clear the louver. Cut the drywall back. Cut the corners of the ductwork back and bend it up. Use some flashing to create a "Z" lip that covers the gap between the drywall and the duct. (Duct tape or metal tape might also work but may not be permanent enough.) Use sheet metal screws inside the duct to fasten the "Z" in place.

57TinkerMan voted this post useful.
Old 09-14-19, 02:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 192 Votes on 178 Posts
I would get another grate, one that does not have a louver.

Old 09-16-19, 12:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestions - the louver does come off; found that out when the first grate we bought was delivered to our doorstep and our dog found the package, opened it up and chewed off the louver. I will do some further thinking....the board and rock will definitely be removed!