Removing start collar / sealing

Old 11-07-19, 03:10 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing start collar / sealing

We recently moved and replaced a flex line run so we could tile under a wood stove. It was moved about four feet from original position so we cut a new hole in plenum to add the new start collar. My question is what is the proper way to close up the old hole in plenum? We have temporarily taped it up with the collar still in place but is that good practice?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-19, 04:26 AM
D
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
I would remove the collar, then take a piece of sheet metal and cover the hole, then secure it with self-tapping sheet metal screws. Finish up by sealing the edges with foil-backed tape.

I've been in my attic the past several weekends replacing all my flex ducts and found where one of them was moved, and whoever did it did a really crappy job of fixing the hole in the plenum - the piece of sheet metal over it was barely large enough to cover it and the edges were taped with plain old duct tape (big no-no) which doesn't last so it was just a big air leak. The frustrating thing is that I know this was done by an HVAC contractor, who should know better but decided to take shortcuts since they figured it was all hidden work that no one would discover until 25 years later. The previous owners left records of everything so I know who did the work and can avoid them in the future.

Old 11-07-19, 04:28 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 627 Votes on 579 Posts
You said you moved a wood stove. When you say plenum are you talking about the stoves flue or is your wood stove feeding into your houses ductwork?

Old 11-07-19, 06:17 AM
V
Forgot to say ...

... that the plenum is the fiber board stuff not metal. The woodstove is not feeding into any ducting. There was a vent behind the woodstove (on floor) that we moved because I wanted tile laid on floor instead of the original stove board that was used. Thanks for the replies. I haven't figured how to answer each one separately yet.

Old 11-07-19, 12:46 PM
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
You will need to seal the edges of the ductboard. This will keep fiberglass from flying around in your home and breathing it. Id go to a sheet metal store and get a new 4x8 sheet of duct board to cover the hole.. cut to fit.

Old 11-07-19, 01:45 PM
V
Ok that sounds like a good idea then. Thank you