HVAC Damper fell off?

Old 11-19-19, 09:51 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
HVAC Damper fell off?

Hi all, new to the forum but glad I found it. I've been looking everywhere and can't seem to find an answer. I'm trying to balance the heat in my house and after looking around at the ducts in the basement that there are 2 supply lines, one feeds one half and the second floor and the other feeds the other side of the first floor. this is my first winter in the house so i've come to find that the one side and upstairs is blazing hot and the other side is cool.

looking around the basement I see a hole on the supply side right off the furnace (on the upstairs supply), on the other side of that is a wingnut. bingo theres a damper, but it looks like it fell into the vent. any idea how I can get it out? I tried pulling on the wingnut but I can't get whatever is inside near the hole.

Attached Images   
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-19, 05:33 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 684 Votes on 631 Posts
Even though there is a joint nearby it may be easier to simply cut a hole in the side of the duct. Then patch the hole when you are done. I have gotten scraps of the duct material from my HVAC guy to keep on hand for repairs. They came off his scrap pile and where free. You can cut a piece larger than your hole then hold it in place with screws or pop rivets and seal with duct seal or caulking.

Old 11-21-19, 12:54 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thats what I was thinking, its a long run so taking down seemed like a big pain, plus i'd have remove all the pencils that keep the duct quiet lol.

Thank you!