Spike in Radon?

Old 12-05-19, 08:25 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Spike in Radon?

I have a radon remediation system and it normally reads between 0.4 and 0.8 with a AirCheck meter. I don't look at it often, but last night the 1 day average was 1.75. It has since gone down to 1.18, so I guess it is back to normal. I have never seen a spike like that. Any idea what it is?

Old 12-05-19, 12:58 PM
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Barometric pressure will cause it to move around. You are way under what is considered elevated.

Old 12-05-19, 02:34 PM
T
I know it is a safe level, but I was concerned because it was going up so sharply and I have never seen it above 1.0 before. It is down to 0.9 now, so I guess the pressure is back to normal.
thanks.

Old 12-05-19, 06:55 PM
H
Received 296 Upvotes on 254 Posts
Wind and water.
Pressure and petrichlor.

Have you ever noticed that on a really windy day, the water in a toilet bowl will bob up and down? That is from wind causing changes in air pressure. Same thing happens with the underground air that carries radon- air flowing around the house speeds up, that generates lower pressure which lifts the underground air into the basement.

Have you ever notice the earthy smell when it rains after a dry spell? Petrichlor. The rainwater displaces air in underground pores and forces the air up. Same thing happens with the underground air that carries radon.

Combination of the two will give you a spike as more "underground air" is moves through the basement.

Old 12-05-19, 07:15 PM
T
That brings up another issue.

The pipe opens in to a space between my house and my neighbors. The wind gets really savage in there. Two years ago my pump broke. While I was waiting for a new one, I found the radon level on windy days was pretty low, but it went up to pre-remediation levels (which was only 4.5...) on calm days. That got me thinking about the pipe opening. It is a 90 pointed to my neighbor, so the wind goes across it. I wonder if it would be better to turn it so that it was facing away from the wind. The wind might create a low pressure that would help suck air out.

What do you think? Turning it would require cutting it and using a coupler, so it is not something I want to experiment with.

Oh, the days average is 0.7 now; since it was much higher this morning, it is probably really down to some thing 0.3 now.

Old 12-06-19, 07:31 AM
T
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
I don't think you should have a 90 on that outlet. It should vent straight up just like your plumbing vents do.

Old 12-06-19, 09:34 AM
T
I looked at the manufacturers website and he shows it without elbows. Hmmm. I have an email into him to see if it matters.
Thanks for pointing it out.

Assuming he glued it, getting it off will be an awful job. I suppose it would be best to take everything apart rather then trying to cut it off 20' up.

Old 12-13-19, 12:57 PM
T
The manufacturer says they don't recommend an elbow on the end, but it can keep rain and debris out of the fan and might be a good choice.

I will try to remove it, but presume it is glued on.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: