draw through exhaust fan

Old 12-08-19, 09:42 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
draw through exhaust fan

I was talking with a guy today who mentioned something that caught my attention. We're doing some bathroom work, he spoke of a bathroom exhaust fan that doesn't actually need to go in the bathroom, it could go in the attic. When switched on it will pull air up the stack/vent and then push it outdoors.

Since I'm not a contractor and up on all these things, I'm wondering if this fan exists and what its actual name is. Examples are also very welcomed, as is pros and cons of those who've used this type of fan if it exists.

Thanks!

Old 12-08-19, 11:18 AM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
Hes probably talking about the powered in line vents, I installed one behind the knee wall above our master bathroom when it was redone a few years ago.

Mine is split between the walk in shower and the toilet, hey move a lot of air, so it;s on for very short times and since the fan is in the attic, very quiet!

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Fantech-...iABEgIu8fD_BwE

Old 12-08-19, 11:31 AM
M
Received 293 Upvotes on 263 Posts
You are not referring to the stack as the plumbing stack are you?
If you are then I do not think it is a good idea.

Mark1 gave the pluses

Possible cons are it can be a pain to service.
I was going to do this but could not find one at the time that was guaranteed to run OK at 40 below.

Old 12-08-19, 11:49 AM
M
I guess I'm not sure if I am referring to the stack as the plumbing or not.
I'm putting bathroom in my basement corner, it needs a fan. I don't want to bore a 4", or 3" hole through the floor joists to run piping to port the fan to the outdoors, and with the specific configuration of the basement area where this is going in, that's really the only option. This guy mentioned this type of fan today.
What I was thinking is, use PVC pipe for the pickup in the bathroom ceiling with a vent cover on it just like a typical exhaust fan. But the pipe would then run up the wall into the attic and out the room. The fan would be mounted to some support beam/2x4 or something solid in the attic, secured in other locations so that the weight of the fan is not simply on the pipe.

That was my idea...I've been stuck in the mud with progress due to this fan being a pain in the butt, it's a necessity, but the mounting locations in the basement don't allow for it.

Old 12-08-19, 12:01 PM
M
@Marq, so due to the quiet running fan, it's probably not so good for those who tend to "blow out" the toilet...??? I was told before that quiet isn't always best...

CasualJoe voted this post useful.
Old 12-08-19, 02:55 PM
Received 1,210 Upvotes on 1,098 Posts
I'm not sure if I am referring to the stack as the plumbing or not.
Somebody else can confirm but I believe the vent and stack are complelty different and not intended to be combined!

My example is for the vent only!

not so good for those who tend to "blow out" the toilet...???
Not going to touch that one!

Old 12-08-19, 03:18 PM
M
Ahhhh.....by stack you mean stink pipe, or plumbing vent? If so, no, not what I'm doing. Just looking for a vent to get the steam out, and poop smell if/when necessary.

Old 12-08-19, 03:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
You want a self contained exhaust fan that discharges out the side wall. Nothing fancy.
Yes..... it will require a 4'' hole with an outdoor hood.

Running up from the basement to an inline fan and then out the roof would be overkill.

Old 12-08-19, 03:56 PM
M
PJ, I know I need that, issue is, I don't have any space to put one where I can get it to go out the side wall without going through floor joists, which I don't want to do.
That's where I've been stuck, until today when I learned about these attic, or remote types...I'm wondering if I can do that, because, while it may be more work, I can actually do there whereas the standard old Broan square box won't fit next to the wall.

Old 12-16-19, 03:39 PM
Received 185 Upvotes on 166 Posts
Would it help if the bath exhaust fan were wall mounted? I've seen that done a few times. The attic mounted fan is not much different than a toilet exhaust fan in a multilevel office building where there is one large low RPM fan in the penthouse or on the roof that draws air from all restrooms in the building. They work well, but aren't really practical in residential.

Old 12-17-19, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
There is no magic bullet that would prevent you from having to install
a 3 or 4 inch line from carrying the exhaust air.
If the stack refers to a plumbing vent stack you can not do that.

Regardless of where you mount the fan unit you need a separate duct to draw or push air out of the bathroom.

Old 12-17-19, 04:56 AM
M
Joe, I'll take a second look at the joists above this bathroom and see if a fan would go in there on a 90 degree.
It might help if I can post a photo here, seems like most think I'm making a big deal out of nothing, but the space to fit a fan between the joist and the concrete wall is limited to just a little more than the size of my stick arms. I'll work on that, it would be helpful and maybe bring more ideas from more experienced people.

Old 12-17-19, 06:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
You can post pictures here....... How-to-insert-pictures.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: