Drilled into dryer vent duct

Old 01-07-20, 02:20 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Drilled into dryer vent duct

Hey everyone. I accidentally drilled into my dryer vent duct (big dummy move). I made a hole in the wall and used some liquid jb weld to seal up the holes. Seems to have covered well and is temp rated for higher than dryer duct tape is rated for. I turned on the dryer to test it after it cured and I could feel a bit of a draft. Thing is, by what I can tell the holes are all sealed. I even used an inspection scope up the pipe to check. all the holes are on the side I drilled, none in any other spot (ex: I drilled through the pipe and out the other side). Any thoughts on why this is? I doubt it's normal to have some kind of draft like this but I also don't really know dryer duct work.

Old 01-07-20, 02:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 426 Votes on 381 Posts
Welcome to the forums!
Dryer vents aren't always air tight. If you're sure you've plugged the holes you made then the odds are there was a draft before you started. The vent on the exterior doesn't always shut as good as you'd think it would.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 01-07-20, 02:35 PM
M
Thank you. Now that you mention it, I think it has a draft even when the dryer is off. Seems to be coming from above. Nothing to be concerned about then? A little more info. I have a one story home. The vent goes up through the wall, through insulation to the roof. I'm mainly trying to figure out where I would be feeling a draft from if the pipe goes through the top of the framing and insulation to get to the roof. Are you saying it might not be totally sealed within the wall and so there is a draft that is pushing down from the roof and into the wall through the pipe? If so is this a concern for mold or anything in the future?

Old 01-07-20, 04:25 PM
Received 533 Votes on 493 Posts
Dryers and bathrooms should not be vented into the attic so that might be a good thing to check.

But even if vented outside the vent louvers are not always air tight and could be leaking or even full of lint causing them to not close which could be where the draft is coming from!

Old 01-07-20, 08:54 PM
M
Thank you for the advice. I'll have to get on the roof and check the louver and make sure there isn't buildup. The home was only built a year and a half ago so it should all be up to code (it's been inspected 3 different times). So as far as I know the exhaust going through the attic should be fine.

Old 01-08-20, 03:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 426 Votes on 381 Posts
IMO the biggest issue with the dryer exhaust going thru the roof is often lint build up will deposit itself on the shingles. I assume the better you do keeping the lint screen clean the less of a problem that would be.

Besides checking the exhaust vent on the roof I'd inspect the duct in the attic. While I've painted numerous houses that vented the dryer thru the roof I've never lived in one and don't know if it poses a mold concern or not. Mold needs 3 things to grow; heat, moisture and a food source.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: