Where can I buy supplies to clean out my dryer vent?

Old 02-16-20, 01:39 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Where can I buy supplies to clean out my dryer vent?

So, our house is setup weird with the dryer vent. For one, our laundry is on the second floor, which I like a lot. But the laundry room is on the front side of the house, but the dryer vent outside the house is on the back of the house. So, the dryer vent is across the whole width of our house. I need to clean it out because the dryer is taking much longer lately to dry cloths.

A few years ago, I had my father in law come over. He brought a big vacuum and a long tube I think you use for a pool and he duct taped it all together and then shoved the hose in the vent through the house. It worked. We got it all vacuumed out and the dryer worked way better after that. But it's back to not working. My father-in-law lives a state away, so I shouldn't need to call him everytime I need to do this. So, figuring I need to get the supplies myself. Is there a setup that I can just buy something meant to do this and not hodgepodge a pool hose and duct tape to do it?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-20, 02:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 88 Votes on 79 Posts
The home stores will have everything you need. Here is an example: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...B&gclsrc=aw.ds since your vent is so long you will need to use something like a fish tape to get the entire way. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...6005/100660167

On a side note, my dryer was doing the same thing and it turned out half the element was bad so it was only getting half as hot.

Old 02-16-20, 02:56 PM
D
Is that going to work as well as hooking a long hose to a vacuum and vacuuming it out? Seems like just having a brush at the end of a long fish tape would just push the lint around, but not completely clean it out.

Old 02-16-20, 03:24 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 352 Votes on 323 Posts
I have a duct brush similar to what Tolyn linked except mine has semi rigid sections you screw together. This link is not to the one I have but it's a similar model. I chuck the end of the brush's wand in a cordless drill and run it into the vent from the outside while the dryer is running. You get a face full of lint but it's very effective at getting the duct clean. The brushing of the sides and the dryer providing the air to blow the lint out leaves a shiny clean duct.

Old 02-16-20, 08:08 PM
J
Received 47 Votes on 42 Posts
#1, I'd be trying to figure out how to run the line someplace else so it was a shorter run and not so much a fire hazard.
A chimney brush as suggest will do a far better job of cleaning it out then a vacuum.

Old 02-16-20, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator
Received 44 Votes on 39 Posts
I use my electric leaf blower. Unhook dryer side and stick the nozzle in there.. Let her rip...Poof!!!! 200 mph air does wonders

Old 02-17-20, 03:56 PM
D
So, I just ordered a 50 ft pool hose, a 30 ft brush thingy, and some fish tape just to make sure I have enough length for the brush.

Old 02-18-20, 12:44 PM
H
Received 59 Votes on 51 Posts
One of the investment properties our family owned had a similar long dryer vent.
I would bring a 50' section of air hose and a friends portable air compressor.

Thread the hose IN at the dryer, and keep snaking it though until it was at the exterior vent.
Added a ball-valve / gate valve on the tank, and then pull the hose back 2 feet, blast with 100 PSI.
Let the compressor recover and repeat every 2 feet.
Then blow out with a commercial style gas powered "backpack" leaf blower. (had to wait for spring so we could have the windows open to use the gas leaf blower indoors).

As long as you are doing the dryer vent, also do the bathroom vent and cold air returns.

Old 02-23-20, 06:32 PM
D
Ok, I'm baffled. I cleaned the dryer vent today. I first used the brush thing with a ton of extensions and pushed it through. It got stuck about half way. Then I used a pool hose from the outside while hooked to the wet dry vac and tried to shove that in and it also got stuck. So then I went into the laundry room and disconnected the dryer vent and then shoved the vacuum down there. First it pulled so much lint it actually clogged the vacuum. After that, I switched the vacuum to blow instead of suck and I then pushed it all the way through. It pushed out so when I walked outside, I could see the pool hose out the vent. I then changed the vacuum to sucking and pulled the hose back. Before I disconnected the dryer inside the laundry room and just trying to clean it from the outside, I had the dryer running and I wasn't getting any exhaust out the vent. After I was able to push the pool hose all the way from the laundry to the vent outside, I hooked up the dryer vent to the dryer again and started the dryer and I was getting exhaust heat. Figured I got it.

Well, were running our first dryer load since I "cleaned" it. It's been running over an hour. I just went and checked it and the close are still damp. Dont know if I need to take another stab at it next weekend cleaning it out again. But the pool hose pushed all the way through. How could it not be drying still?

Last edited by dorlow; 02-23-20 at 08:38 PM.
Old 02-23-20, 08:35 PM
D
Well, just finished the second load in the dryer. This one took exactly 1 hour and the Cloths are dry. So maybe the first load was just a fluke.

Old 02-23-20, 08:43 PM
D
Oh, and I didnt mention, I hooked the vacuum to the pool hose using a 2" to 1.5" rubber hose reducer. It has those metal bands on both sides where it has the screw where you can tighten it down. It fit perfect to the vacuum and pool hose. I tightened it down right, so the suction was good.