Cleaning Dryer Vent

Old 02-21-20, 08:28 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cleaning Dryer Vent

Our dryer vent is opening to the roof, so we can clean the vent only from inside. The contractor who worked in our home said that it's not a good idea for us to do it ourselves using a tool like this kit , because we would be only pushing the lint to the outer surface and make it more compressed, instead of removing it. Is he correct?

Old 02-21-20, 08:51 AM
M
Received 159 Votes on 146 Posts
I agree with your contractor.
The way to clean this is actually from the roof or vacuum it out.

What clogs up is the screen on the vent outlet.
Even if you snake it from below and can get most of it out the first time you turn the dryer on any loose lint will again clog the screen. So you basically have to vacuum the clog out if just working from the bottom.Even then I would want to go on the roof to check the screen.

To be truthful I would never vent a dryer through a roof I have had to unclog a couple and they are a real pain in the you know what. I did not have the equipment to do it from below so had to do it from the roof. The screens on the vents were not made to be removable so that was a struggle. They were also small so snaking it back down and doing a decent job was also a pain. Often the snake went through the lint without actually removing it all. Had the dryer running on air only during the whole procedure so I also got to eat a fair amount of lint and then to top it all off getting a screen back on it became a project.

Old 02-21-20, 08:55 AM
T
Received 39 Votes on 37 Posts
That depends. I take it your dryer pipe is horizontal both inside and outside. If the vent does not have an outside cap, I'd say you're fine. Don't use a brush if you have a cap. If you have a shop-vac, you can get an extension hose, some of which are approx. the same length as the kit.

Old 02-21-20, 09:49 AM
Received 460 Votes on 429 Posts
If you have access to the vent from the inside and the length is sufficient your good to go.

All the brush is going to do is knock the lint off the inside of the duct which will drop down to be vacuumed up.

Lint settles downward, I bet after you get into that duct a short distance you wont even find much higher up!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: