Air Filter Rating and Brand Recommendation

Old 03-24-20, 09:20 AM
P
Received 27 Upvotes on 23 Posts
Air Filter Rating and Brand Recommendation

Hopefully I am on the correct board for this post.

I need to replace my hvac air filter. The system is forced hot-air for heat and AC for cooling, so its used year round. We suffer from mild to moderate seasonal allergies and have a dog with dander (although that doesn't seem to bother us). Because of that, I was thinking of increasing my filters to a MERV 11. Is there any way to determine without special instruments how much pressure drop is too much? This unit supplies about 1500 sqft of an 1900 sqft house. It has a central return with a 16x25x1 filter.

Thanks

Old 03-24-20, 11:29 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
A MERV 11 filter would be pretty hard on a home HVAC system.

You could check its effect on the system but running the system in heat mode. Measure the air temperature coming in the return side of the furnace. Then measure the air leaving the furnace while heating. The difference will give you a heat rise figure that will need to be checked against the figure posted on the ID tag inside on the side wall near the burner.

Too much of a rise would indicate too much restriction.

Old 03-24-20, 12:03 PM
T
Received 109 Upvotes on 97 Posts
There's some debate on the value of HVAC filters in air purification but I believe the consensus opinion is the filters are largely ineffective in doing so. HVAC filters are generally intended to protect the air handler from dirt and debris rather than the living area. This is evidenced by the fact the filter goes between the return and the air handler rather than between the air handler and the supply vents.

I believe you will be much better served by purchasing one or more air purifiers. Good units can be found for under $200.

Old 03-24-20, 01:00 PM
P
Thanks, Pj. I currently use a boiler with a hydroair exchanger. Would the heat rise figure be somewhere besides the boiler? Maybe on the exchanger in the blower unit?

Old 03-24-20, 01:05 PM
P
Thanks, guys. The points made are generally what I have been finding in my web searches.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: