Bathroom Fans Directly Vent into Attic?

Old 04-11-20, 02:19 PM
Y
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Fans Directly Vent into Attic?

Hi,

Is that okay that the bathroom fans are directly vent into attic? I just found out our 2nd floor's 2 full bathroom both vent directly into the attic. See the pictures and I also have pictures of the attic vent/window/blind, they are in opposite direction. The house is 20 years old and I believe the fans have been working like this since 20 years ago. If anything I need to change what would it be?

Thank you very much.

Attached Images     
Old 04-11-20, 02:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,509 Votes on 1,396 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You're lucky. Many people that have had bathroom vents discharging in the attic have had major mold issues. You must have good air flow in your attic.

The vents should be discharging outside to get rid of the excessive moisture removed during bathing.

Old 04-12-20, 10:59 AM
Y
Thanks for the reply. The attic window at both side of the house basically are in opposite direction. And I did not look underneath the insolation to see if there is any mold around the bathroom fan area. One more issue/question about the attic (not sure if it related to the bathroom fan) is on one side of the attic there is an area without insolation and it seems to me that there is some mold and also not a good seal(maybe). I tried to take a photo outside too to match the attic area. I believe I may need to add isolation on this area, remove the mold first and seal the hole? Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks.

Attached Images     
Old 04-12-20, 11:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
At least your's vented someplace. When I redid my bathroom I found out they just vented it into a rafter bay that was closed on both ends.

Old 04-12-20, 12:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
What is on the other side of that uninsulated wall?

Old 04-13-20, 06:03 AM
Y
The other side of the wall is outside/exterior wall.

Old 04-13-20, 07:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks, Yang's. I guess what looked like dry wall was actually foam insulating board?
I do suggest treating what appears to be mold & adding some insulation. Your bathroom vent really should be vented to the outdoors, preferably straight up thru the roof.

Old 04-13-20, 11:00 AM
Y
Thanks Grady. Unfortunately, I believe that is drywall. I have attached more photo's to show where is the area in the picture and I think the siding of this area is missing. And the mold area is right next to the chimney.

Attached Images    
Old 04-13-20, 12:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It does look like the siding is missing. That would certainly be a place moisture could get in & promote mold growth. No way would you get my old self up there to fix it. While someone is up there, it would be an excellent time to get the vents thru the roof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: