inside AC blower fan hums and does not spin, charlotte, NC

Old 06-03-20, 12:27 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
inside AC blower fan hums and does not spin, charlotte, NC

EDITED TO ADD, I GOT BLOWER TO WORK. FIRST TURNED OFF POWER THEN ROTATED THE FAN BY HAND. FELT STIFF AT FIRST THEN LOOSENED UP! I DO STILL WONDER IF THE BLOWER REQUIRES ANY KIND OF ROUTINE GREASE OR OIL LUBE? AND IF SO WHAT KIND?
ORIGINA POST BELOW.
1. There are no door sensors that are preventing the fan from kicking on.
2. The 15.0uF 370v AC capacitor was bad and replaced with a new one.
3. American carrier model # 2TEC3F48B1000AA on a honeywell zoned control panel. I bypassed the control panel and still have only a humming noise. After about 10 minutes the blower motor casing temperature has probabaly risen to about 160 degrees F It has not been run for about 1 year. Blower fan will move when pushed with a stick but not easily. I wonder if it is just corroded and needs to be lubed ot spin freely?

any other ideas would be appreciated!

Last edited by Rolland Elliott; 06-03-20 at 12:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-20, 02:07 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 478 Votes on 439 Posts
The bearings are generally not serviceable. When they get stiff you replace the motor. They can be oiled but it can be a bit of work to get the motor out and in a position where you can get oil into the bearings... then it's a guess how long the Band-Aid fix works. If it's been sitting a long time without running you may be in decent shape now that you've gotten it turning. Time will tell.

Once I had one that developed a bad spot on the motor. If it stopped in a certain location it would not start but if it stopped anywhere else in it's rotation it would start and run OK. I replaced the motor.

Old 06-03-20, 07:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 830 Votes on 777 Posts
Unfortunately it's time for motor replacement. I wouldn't even advise trying to oil the bearings as that would only buy you an extremely limited amount of life.

Trane OEM replacement motor # MOT11863. (1/2 hp 1000 rpm 230v)
You can search around and find generic subs too.
Make sure whatever motor you get.... you get the capacitor that it requires.

Old 06-04-20, 03:49 AM
B
Received 63 Votes on 56 Posts
If the motor has sleeve bearings with channels in the end caps for oiling the bearings, add oil to the channels and see what happens before deciding to retiring motor.