What is the hole for and can I cover it?


Old 06-20-20, 10:32 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Canada
Posts: 154
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is the hole for and can I cover it?


Because the hole is annoying. I wanna remove the carpet and lay plywood all over area, covering the hole.

Last edited by PJmax; 06-20-20 at 10:37 PM. Reason: added pic from link
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-20, 10:38 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 59,738
Received 1,185 Votes on 1,097 Posts
That looks pretty big. Almost like a return line to an HVAC system.
Is there an air handler/furnace in the basement that it connects to ?
If it's in use it shouldn't be covered over.
Old 06-20-20, 11:31 PM
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 4,834
Received 79 Votes on 74 Posts
It's a return or supply duct, your missing the register cover for it.
Old 06-21-20, 04:42 AM
Norm201's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: United States
Posts: 9,184
Received 255 Votes on 229 Posts
What room is it in? If it's a room with non-outside walls and it's a heat source, you could cover it. But if it's a cold air return I would not cover it. That would upset the heating balance of the HVAC system.
Old 06-21-20, 05:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA - N.E.Tn
Posts: 47,698
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
It looks like a return vent to me also. Assuming it's in use I wouldn't block it off. You need to measure the size and buy the right floor grille for it. Many houses [especially older ones] have fresh air returns in the floor.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: