Air Handler in Attic - Question w Pics

Old 07-08-20, 12:46 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Air Handler in Attic - Question w Pics

Hey all, just had a new home renovated and the contractors put in a new central AC system. All the equipment is in the attic, above livable space. I was up there yesterday moving some boxes and noticed that the drain pan had a decent amount of water in it.

Now I believe the unit itself has its own drain pan, and then the secondary drain pan acts as a backup. Both have drain pipes that run in the same direction. My question is, is it normal to have this much water in the secondary drain pan? Does this install look OK or is there something wrong?

Thanks in advance.

PS. this is the unit - https://www.adpnow.com/wp-content/up...-SG-BAH-22.pdf

Last edited by PJmax; 07-08-20 at 03:17 PM. Reason: resized/labeled pictures
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-20, 01:41 PM
Received 320 Votes on 300 Posts
You pretty much have it, the secondary pan is backup and if there is water in there I'd be looking to see why the primary pan was not handling it!

Old 07-08-20, 02:57 PM
G
Well take a look at how much water is in the secondary pan.

I take it, this blower is a slant coil so there should be an internal drain pan that collects the water and pushes it out through the main drain?

How would this mater water accumulate in the secondary pan? Where does it leak from or drip from off the unit?

Old 07-08-20, 03:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 938 Votes on 875 Posts
The red arrow is the primary drain and the blue arrow should be the secondary drain. The overflow pan underneath should be connected to the secondary drain line. The water is overflowing the main drip pan and running out thru the cabinet into the overflow pan.

Luckily you have a float switch on the overflow pan.
More than likely the overflow pan is not level and the water is pooling in areas.

You can use a shop vac to suck out the primary drain line. Then remove the cap on the PVC stub and pour in hot water and a few cups of bleach. That will dissolve the algae and gunk buildup.

Old 07-08-20, 03:43 PM
G
I was looking at the install guide here - https://www.adpnow.com/wp-content/up...0662402-18.pdf

page 6 doesn't show 2 drains being installed out of the unit? I am confused.

The install guide also says "NOTE: Horizontal runs must also have an anti-siphon air vent (standpipe) installed ahead of the horizontal run." I don't see that air vent in my pics... is it not needed?

Old 07-08-20, 03:51 PM
Group Moderator
A vented tee is not always used. You don't have one on the post trap side of the drain line.

3. Secondary drain connections should be connected to a separate drainage system.
Run this drain to a place incompliance with local installation codes where it will be noticed when unit is operational. Condensate flowing from the secondary drain indicates a plugged primary drain.

Old 07-08-20, 05:38 PM
G
Is every air handler supposed to have two condensate drains and then another drain tray with its own drain as a backup? (So a total of 3 drains?)

Old 07-08-20, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
Two drains. The primary drain and the secondary that can be combined with the overflow pan.

Old 07-09-20, 10:11 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 63 Votes on 59 Posts
New uint under warranty I would have the A/C men out finding out what is wrong.

Old 07-13-20, 08:53 PM
G
Thanks, do you guys ever have a situation where water sits in your secondary drain period more than 24 hours or is it always supposed to be drained out fairly quickly? Some people are telling me its normal and some are telling me that my installers did a poor job and cut corners..

Old 07-13-20, 10:27 PM
Group Moderator
Technically... there should not be water in the secondary/overflow drain pan. That water is telling you that the primary drain is not working properly.

Once water does get into that pan..... if it's not level or pitched to the drain line it may be there for several days until it can evaporate.

Old 07-14-20, 07:37 AM
A
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
i dont see a vent on your main drain line look at your install instructions it will tell you if a vent is needed and where its needed depending on coil location its before or after the Ptrap

Old 07-14-20, 05:25 PM
G
Question

I mentioned the lack of vent earlier, PJmax said its not always needed. However this is a screenshot of the install instructions for the unit. What determines if the vent is needed or not?

Old 07-14-20, 10:02 PM
Group Moderator
As per your manual.... it looks like your unit could benefit from an air admittance tee after the trap.
That is something you could very easily add yourself. A 3/4" tee and a short stub of pipe.

Old 07-15-20, 06:59 PM
Received 11 Votes on 10 Posts
Looks like there is a hot water heating coil in the unit too, If leaking it would not drain into the primary drain.

Old 07-15-20, 07:11 PM
Group Moderator
Looks like there is a hot water heating coil in the unit too, If leaking it would not drain into the primary drain
Yes...... you are correct.

There's a safety switch on the overflow pan but I doubt it would do anything if the hydronic coil leaked and flooded the overflow pan.

Old 07-15-20, 09:55 PM
G
I have a separate combo-boiler Navient tank less unit in the basement providing hot water.

I don't think any leaks are coming from the water lines running into the unit. But inside the unit water does not seem to be draining down the primary drain properly, hence while I have water building up in the tray. I just don't understand where the water in the secondary drain so coming from? Is it just condensation coming off the air handler or is the water leaking out from the internal drain pan in the air handler?

Old 07-15-20, 10:17 PM
Group Moderator
There is a pan inside the air handler that is connected to the primary drain. If the primary drain is plugged or is not draining..... the pan fills up and it drips thru the cabinet at the lowest point. You might not see where the water is leaking out.

Do you know where the primary drain goes to ?
Is there water coming out of it ?
You want to get this back to normal as soon as possible because the water inside the unt is going to start to rust.

If you can't get a handle on where the problem is..... call your installer back because there should not be a drain issue there.

Old 07-16-20, 10:48 PM
G
Thanks.. looking at the system more closely now to find other issues..

They installed a York condenser outside (Model # YCD30B22S) - which I believe is a 2.5 ton setup.

In the attic is a ADP B Series Hydronic Air Handler (Model # BCRMA3624S3N3) which I believe is 2.0 ton

Do these need to match to be efficient? I believe Advanced Distributor Products (ADP) owns York and a few other companies so this might be from the same manufacturer but it seems the tonnage doesn't match..

Old 07-16-20, 11:01 PM
Group Moderator
An evaporator coil that is smaller than the condenser coil might, in some cases, provide better dehumidification but it might not cool the home as well. There are different factors used to determine if a smaller inside coil is better. Hopefully they did a heat loss assessment to see how that coil would fit in.

York is owned by the Johnson Control/Tyco conglomerate.
ADP is owned by Heatcraft who is owned by Lennox.

There are only a few companies that own them all.

Old 07-17-20, 06:38 PM
G
what is a heat loss assessment?

Old 07-18-20, 10:27 AM
Group Moderator
Each room is measured. Type of home is entered. Type of windows. Area of country. Amount of anticipated sunlight. General insulation.

All go into a form to figure out how many A/C btu's are needed to cool the home.

Old 07-19-20, 11:21 AM
G
I don't think that was done and to be honest I am now questioning all this HVAC work. I didn't choose the company, my contractor did.

I have a home in the North East, its not large, maybe 1750 sq ft.

We went with 1 unit and had it split upstairs and downstairs. So at first the unit was installed and I noticed the condenser was a 2 ton unit and I looked up a chart online that said I needed a larger unit. I told my contractor and he had the outside condenser upgraded to a 2.5 ton unit. However, now I realize they never changed the actual air handler in the attic. That unit is still 2 ton.

So now I have a 2.5 ton unit condenser, a 2 ton blower, both are different brands and I have no idea if they are matched and on top of that the unit has a diverter so that the one unit powers both upstairs and downstairs via 2 separate thermostats. I don't think it has enough power to cool/heat the home.

Old 07-19-20, 11:56 AM
Group Moderator
How is the system working right now with this heat wave ?
My system cycles pretty heavy until late in the afternoon where it almost runs continuously until later in the evening.

Old 07-19-20, 09:13 PM
G
I am not living in the house yet so I am only there for a few hours at a time but yesterday when I arrived the thermostat said 81 so I set it to 70 and that was at 7:15 PM and by 9:30 PM it had only gone down to 78 deg. To be fair the house was really hot as we are not living there but is that normal?

Old 07-19-20, 09:23 PM
Group Moderator
Based on how my house responds.... yes..... that's normal.
Once the house heats up it takes at least twice as long to cool it off.

Old 07-20-20, 07:27 PM
G
Thanks, whats your thoughts on the mismatched condenser and air handler?

How do I know if the York condenser Model # YCD30B22S and the ADP B Series Hydronic Air Handler Model # BCRMA3624S3N3 are compatible?

I can barely find any information about the ADP air handler..