DIY Mobile Home ductwork replacement will all flex duct?

Old 07-23-20, 09:05 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DIY Mobile Home ductwork replacement will all flex duct?

Is it possible to replace mobile home duct-work using all flex duct? I was thinking using round Ts , round register boots and connect them together underneath the mobile home using all the same size flex duct?

Is this a bad idea to do?

I know mobile homes smaller size ductwork and use a higher static pressure compatible furnace / air handler. I was thinking of using a normal size round flex duct for how many BTUs is needed instead of the standard smaller size if it will fit under the mobile home, and if using all flex duct is possible.

Old 07-24-20, 07:32 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 750 Votes on 689 Posts
You cannot use all the same size duct. You start large coming out of the air handler then as you go down the line the duct gets smaller to help maintain uniform airflow from all the ducts.

Old 07-24-20, 08:43 AM
M
Pilot Dane

Well mobile homes use a single size smaller rectangle duct work down one side of the floor ? So shouldn't it be possible with flex duct ?

Old 07-24-20, 10:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 361 Votes on 318 Posts
I have a house built around an older single wide trailer. When I had the heat pump installed they put in a trunk line with flexible duct feeding off that trunk. I don't know if you can use flexible duct for a trunk but it would still need to be bigger than the duct that services each room.

Old 07-25-20, 07:26 PM
M
marksr

I think it should be possible to use flex duct as a main trunk for a mobile home. The mobile home I live in is a 1979 with bad ductwork , I haven't had a working furnace for over 15 years because the main trunk is bad , it has tons of holes in it and for some reason parts of the ductwork is missing and been told I need a total replacement , so I have been using electric baseboard since than. I am looking to have a heat pump installed once the ductwork can be replaced. If I can't use all flex duct or mostly flex duct, I can probably use just regular round duct as a main trunkline.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: