Energy Recovery Ventilator in the summer?

Old 07-31-20, 11:29 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Energy Recovery Ventilator in the summer?

Hello,

I am staying in Flagstaff (cool at 7,000+ ft. altitude) and the ERV was great for the winter as it warmed up the incoming air. This home has no A/C (understandable)
But it's now summer and we're setting heat records here, as I type. I throw all the windows open ~ 5:30 am, but we're at 80* or more by the time the sun sets.
Would I not be better off turning the ERV off during the hottest part of the day?
Only 2 people and a dog in 1380 sq ft.
I would appreciate any experienced advice on this newfangled system!
TIA
MR2

Old 07-31-20, 09:27 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
Since you keep the windows open..... your indoor air and the outside air have about the same temperature and relative humidity there is really no need to run the ERV.

ferd42 voted this post useful.
Old 08-02-20, 07:48 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for your advice, Pjmax. I have kept the ERV off for 3 days now and we have not gone up to 80* during those days. Anecdotal evidence seems to support keeping the system off (and saving energy BTW) during the summer months when we don't want warmer incoming air.

Old 08-03-20, 10:22 AM
D
Received 9 Votes on 8 Posts
I grew up in Iowa before central air.
We had a whole house ventilator. It was a box fan on steroids, 24 inch fan and a 1 hp motor that fit inside the window in the upstairs hall way. When on this thing would literately help you up the stairs. Open windows down stairs and then turn the monster on. Ya LOUD. It would pull cool air inside and exhaust it out. When morning came the house was close to the outside temp. Then close all of the windows. NEVER blow cool air in, always hot air out. They make lots of units like this for use in areas like yours. Some fit in the attic some in windows.
The two principals are lots of CFM and how much it cools off. You will suck humidity in this way. Fans are pretty cheap to run and it will help.
A buddy of mine bought a newer house up there and I refuse to visit in the summer, Nights are to hot for me with no ac.

Old 08-04-20, 01:17 AM
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
Whole house is a great idea, but if you have a gas water heater, be very careful not to create a negative pressure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: