Air filters in return vents

Old 08-29-20, 11:28 AM
M
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Air filters in return vents

I have a Goodman ARUF3030 air handler, which has a poorly designed air filter slot. It requires removing two awkwardly placed screws (which get more and more loose the more they are removed/replaced), and the base isn't perfectly aligned with the cabinet so the filter gets snagged on the sheet metal. I literally have to yank on the filter to get it out, and it tears apart as I remove it. Thus, I am considering removing the filter from the air handler and putting individual filters on each of my three returns. This would make it much more convenient to replace the filters and I like the idea of being able to see the filters so I know when they need to be replaced. I also would no longer have to clean my main return duct as the return filters would keep them clean. As long as the filters I use aren't overly restrictive, is there any reason not to do what I am proposing?

Last edited by mossman; 08-29-20 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-29-20, 10:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,343 Votes on 1,241 Posts
I also would no longer have to clean my main return duct as the return filters would keep them clean
.... or at least to a certain extent.

If the return duct work is well sealed...... using three filters would be fine.

Old 08-30-20, 05:47 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 752 Votes on 691 Posts
I have three air returns in my house and each has it's own filter and it's worked fine for 18 years so far.

Old 08-30-20, 05:50 AM
Received 292 Votes on 262 Posts
If the return duct work is well sealed...... using three filters would be fine.
Sure, but by your description of the current filter receptacle I'm betting the return ducts are in no better shape and most likely have leaks. Keep in mind the filter is there to protect the motor and burner from debris. I think a better solution is to fix the current filter receptacle.

ferd42 voted this post useful.
Old 08-30-20, 08:26 AM
M
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
The air handler is no more than 5 years old. I know for a fact that the return ductwork is tightly sealed. Perhaps I could do pleated filters on all the returns and a cheapo fiberglass filter in the unit to protect against anything that gets sucked in through leaks. Then check/replace the fiberglass filter once a year.

Also forgot to mention the filter is a non-standard size, so I have to special order them online. Not too big a deal as I get them in bulk, but just another inconvenience.

Old 09-05-20, 02:27 AM
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
DO NOT add filters to the system, especially pleated ones: It's extremely likely airflow is substandard now, and you'll only make it worse be increasing resistance to flow. Think "Replacement Compressor" in a worst case scenario.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: