Flexible duct for range vent?

Old 09-28-20, 05:04 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Flexible duct for range vent?

I think I know the answer, but thought I would ask. During my recent remodel, I had to move the stove by a few feet. The vent used to run straight up and out the roof. I found in the new location, I was blocked from going up by a joist, and from going straight out the wall by a stud. I had my cabinet installer cut a hole offset in the top of my cabinet and my plan is to go out the roof from that point.

My question is whether it would be possible/advisable to run flexible ducting from this location to the old vent cap. Note that it would have to go up and over the joists. This is just an alternative so I don't need to punch a new hole in my roof, but I am resigned to that if needed.

Red on left is where the original vent came up (sorry, it's covered in insulation). The orange on the right is where the new vent will come up.

(and yes, I am aware of the rodent damage and am dealing with that as well)

Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-20, 05:24 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,110 Votes on 1,030 Posts
I see the old and new locations but I don't see the duct going outside.
I wouldn't recommend using flex but if you must.... it needs to be metal flex.

Old 09-28-20, 05:31 PM
J
I have actually pulled the old one out during my remodel (I'm currently without a range hood). The red circle on the left is where it used to go, but the patch in the roof is covered with insulation (the photo was taken to show the rodent droppings and I don't have a good one of the vents). The hole for the new vent (orange circle) is not cut yet (in roof or in kitchen ceiling).

For flexible ducting, do you mean something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Lambro-Indust...34&s=hi&sr=1-2

Note that it would have to come horizontally around the joist and over the rafters to connect from the new hole (in orange) to the old exit (in red). Is this ok? Otherwise, I will just punch a new hole in the roof and add a new vent.

Old 09-28-20, 05:58 PM
Group Moderator
Note that it would have to come horizontally around the joist and over the rafters to connect from the new hole (in orange) to the old exit (in red). Is this ok?
That's ok. Use two adjustable 90's. No need to cut a new hole in the roof.
That is the correct type of flex duct.

Old 09-28-20, 06:10 PM
J
The one thing I am realizing is that the path is right at the wall line, and I am not sure I have enough space between the ceiling and the roof to fit a 90 degree bend in. May be stuck with going up through a new hole.

Old 09-28-20, 06:45 PM
Group Moderator
Straight up is the most efficient. It just leaves you having to fix the roof.