Thinking of an HRV

Old 10-02-20, 09:29 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thinking of an HRV

Got an older home, single story with basement, typical "not tight" (to modern standards). Hot water baseboard and mini-splits in a couple of rooms.

Typical install scenarios have a supply to all or most rooms and a couple of returns. With the COVID business, I was thinking more along the lines of have a return in several areas, including particularly bedrooms where an ill person might be and a main supply, or several at strategic locations.

Also, it would be a lot easier to use only floor vents, or low mounts, rather than higher mounts as all the interior wall have fiberglass insulation, apparently for noise suppression.

Comments?

Old 10-02-20, 11:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
I see HRV's used in new homes where the construction is tight and fresh air exchange is needed.
I'm not sure how much benefit you'd gain on an older leaky home.

I service these devices but I don't install them. I don't know how you'd determine the benefits in your case. I'm sure there will always be some benefit but does it outweigh the cost of the unit and all the ductwork.

Is this going to be a DIY project or are you having it done ?
If you're having it done... get at least two estimates.

Old 10-02-20, 12:29 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Mainly just looking to ensure fresh air during heating and cooling seasons on main floor and in basement, for health reasons. I'm looking at it as an expense rather than for eventual payback.

I'd likely be doing it myself.

Old 10-04-20, 11:22 AM
Received 17 Votes on 17 Posts
You'll need to get the ventilation air to the "Breathing Zone" - about six feet above the floor - to do any good. Given the low air quantities involved (60 CFM for a 2 or 3BR home smaller than 3,000SF), that'll require high supplies on the walls or ceilings. The low exhausts are fine, will capture heavier than air contaminants. Do supply all bedrooms.

And be aware the supply air will be cooler than room temperature in winter and warmer in summer.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: