Radon system question

Old 11-11-20, 05:20 PM
R
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Radon system question

Hey all, hope this is the correct forum for my question. Anyways...

i just bought a new house built in 2019. In the basement there is a 4" green pvc pipe coming up out of the floor about 18" or so and then capped. I was told this is radon rough in.

When i look down the pipe it tees to both sides. To the right of the pipe about 6-8 Feet Which is the corner of the basement there is a sump hole with two pipe entrances Which i believe is a loop all the way around the slab.

Does this sound like a radon rough in? The sump had a little water in it but was super nasty like grey water. Stunk wicked bad. I shop vacced it out to see if water will return. There are no signs of this being a wet basement but i am not 100% positive considering the couple inches of water in there. the house is built up on a hill.

How can i tell if this is radon rough in? I was expecting the pipe to go down in to dirt that i would have to dig out. The sump cover fits snug but is not gasketed or air tight.

Old 11-11-20, 06:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
I have never heard of radon rough-in.
Typically if the area is know for radon issues..... the complete system is installed when the house is new.

Old 11-11-20, 06:30 PM
R
Thanks for the response PjMax. Radon rough in is fairly common in new residential construction from what i understand. Here in Maine radon is fairly common. I think for whatever reason the original owners didnt want the added expense. Maybe the realtor convinced them to not test for radon. Anyways we tested and are a little high.

I wasnt expecting to see a tee at the bottom of the green pipe, hence the initial post. But from a quick search online it could be a perforated pipe looping the circumference of the slab surrounded by gravel, which would be awesome. I just dont know how to tell.

also if this is infact what i think it is, do i need to seal up the sump pit? Or install a sump pump? I dont think i have a water issue but inevitably wouldnt the sump collect water over time from the radon system pitching towards the sump? Also will control lines in the slab need to be caulked?

Old 11-11-20, 06:40 PM
Group Moderator
Maybe the realtor convinced them to not test for radon.
Interesting.

That doesn't fly here in NJ. My friend bought a house in a radon "semihot" location. A radon test was required and came back slightly high. The seller was required to install it. The option wasn't even offered to deduct off the house sale.

As long as a vacuum is applied under the floor.... the sump pit may not need to be sealed airtight.

Old 11-12-20, 08:46 AM
R
Thanks for the response. So i talked with The builder who said the radon pipe is tied to the drain tile which is looped around the inside foundation perimeter and meets at the sump basin in the corner.

there is also a separate drain tile system on the outside perimeter of the building that goes to a daylight drain at the bottom corner of the hill.

Does this sound right? I am going to go ahead with the install and try testing before sealing anything up but feel like it is a necessary step from some of the reading i've done.

Old 11-12-20, 10:38 AM
Group Moderator
In that application....it sounds like the sump cover will need to be sealed.

Old 11-12-20, 12:46 PM
A
Received 109 Votes on 101 Posts
Lack of a sealed cover on the sump cover will spoil the vacuum under the floor and the radon pump may fail to suck radon from the most distant parts of the perimeter drain system, capturing and exhausting more basement interior air instead.

The inside of the perimeter drain has the most contact with radon laden soil and water and therefore the application of suction down there has the best chance of getting rid of radon before the radon can seep into the interior.

Old 11-12-20, 04:54 PM
H
Received 137 Votes on 119 Posts
The radon rough-in is fairly common in Bucks & Montgomery counties
These areas have shale bedrock, and whether you do, or don't get radon depends on
random cracks in bedrock- two houses that are side by side can have wildly different radon readings.

So, it's simpler to put the pipes in.

Old 11-13-20, 03:32 AM
R
Thanks for the responses guys. My sump basin stays dry AFAIK. But i still want a removable lid. I have a square basin. Any ideas? Looks like I may have to make something?

Also do I need to caulk control lines in the slab? What product would be best for this?

Old 11-13-20, 09:00 AM
H
Received 137 Votes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob04064
The sump cover fits snug but is not gasketed or air tight.
Until you install a radon system, you don't have to worry, snug is usually good enough.
When there is already a sump cover, the usual solution I find is that the home owner just puts a rubber-backed doormat over the sump pump access

Old 11-19-20, 06:46 AM
Received 88 Votes on 83 Posts
Hi, check this link out,
https://www.mwradon.com/radon-mitigation-techniques
Geo 🇺🇸

Old 11-19-20, 07:39 AM
T
Received 19 Votes on 15 Posts
NJ home here, my radon system is tied into my french drains, runs around the perimeter of the basement. Sump cover is sealed, but removable.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: