Furnace exhaust fumes

Old 11-24-20, 06:32 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Furnace exhaust fumes

Hello was wondering does the vent for the furnace fumes to go outside have to be a certain height from ground? should i cut a hole to make it higher or leave as is low on ground inside chimney ? there is a PVC pipe inside the chimney going all the way outside connected to the duct.

thanks,

Old 11-24-20, 06:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,342 Votes on 1,240 Posts
Many problems there and very dangerous.

What is plastic doing in the chimney ?
That looks like a standard boiler...... not a draft induced unit that would use PVC vent pipe.
Does the boiler have a plastic PVC flue or metal ?

The picture shows if metal flue. Cannot be an plastic in the chimney.

Old 11-24-20, 07:26 PM
D
yes the vent is metal on furnace where i connected the duct so i must take out the PVC pipe from chimney and just let the fumes go outside the chimney with no pipe? also can you explain to me why using PVC in this situation is dangerous thank you.

Old 11-24-20, 07:38 PM
D
ALso can i use the flexible duct that is already installed on the furnace or must i replaced that as well with metal duct? thanks

Old 11-24-20, 08:43 PM
H
Received 137 Votes on 119 Posts
The current setup will kill you in your sleep.
Either carbon-monoxide/carbon-dioxide poisoning from the tin-foil-flue leaking, OR when the PVC in the chimney catches fire and burns the house down.

There only reason to have a PVC pipe in a chimney would be an air intake or a professional mid-to-high-end condensing furnace installation. THAT installation is NEITHER.

I'll make a wild guess, it's a 2 flue chimney, and somebody ran a PVC cold air intake down one side, with the exhaust in the other. IF that is correct, then you're lucky, and you MAY be able to relocate the furnace a few feet to the left and install a correct steel flue that runs straight up and into the chimney- red outline.

Old 11-24-20, 09:38 PM
D
No i actually never installed a furnace before so what i will do is remove the PVC PIPE from chimeny remove the old Flexible duct and then install new metal duct so the exhaust can run out the chimeny and make a new whole a few inches higher and add a fresh air intake on the side of the house does this sound correct?

https://imgur.com/a/1GD3K0O

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: