Dryer vented into garage

Old 02-27-21, 07:49 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dryer vented into garage

We're renting a house built in the early 90's. For some reason the dryer is vented into the garage. The washer and dryer (electric) are inside the house in a pantry. I can't tell if the hookups were initially on the other side of the wall in the garage. I do quite a bit in the garage and have always had issues with the heat, humidity, and amount of lint left by the vent. According to our land lady the builder messed up and instead of fixing it gave them free landscaping. I don't buy it, but we are renting and limited as to how we can fix this without reporting her.

Last edited by slide420; 02-27-21 at 07:51 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old 02-27-21, 11:14 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
It's not your property, you can't fix it unless the landlord agrees to your plan first.

Old 02-28-21, 06:16 AM
Z
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 187 Votes on 167 Posts
The only way to fix (short of moving the whole laundry to another wall) would be to remove the vent cap in the garage, add a 90 degree fitting, and run the pipe to the nearest outside wall. Definitely use rigid metal 4" ducting, not any kind of flex. It will of course require cutting a 4" hole out the side of the wall.
Connect them securely with metal tape (not duct tape) and don't use screws.

If possible, pitch the horizontal run slightly (1/8" per foot) downward towards the exterior, so any condensation will drain outside.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 02-28-21, 07:39 AM
Received 89 Votes on 76 Posts
It's not your property, you can't fix it unless the landlord agrees to your plan first.
If you can't fix it you might:

Open the garage door to alleviate heat and humidity.

Attach a nylon stocking or pantyhose leg to the outlet to catch lint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: