Nightmare cleaning out dryer duct

Old 06-16-21, 10:55 AM
M
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Nightmare cleaning out dryer duct

My washing machine and dryer are in a closet in my kitchen. There is a countertop above them with a ton of things on it (microwave, toaster oven, food, etc.). They are also angled strategically to fit so the closet doors will close and the front loader doors can open freely (very tight fit). This makes it a nightmare to clean out the dryer duct. I am wondering if there is anyway to put a cleanout that I can stick a vacuum in a foot or so above the dryer so I don't have to move everything and put it back. Maybe a T on the ductwork with a removable cap covered by an access panel?

I can push everything in the vent from outside to behind the dryer with a brush on fiberglass rods I have that hooks to my drill.

Another option might be to push everything down from outside and then use a long hose on my shop vac and feed it down. It would have to go 20+ feet though and I'm not sure if there are any tight turn in the duct.

Old 06-16-21, 11:06 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,152 Upvotes on 3,729 Posts
It's hard to answer that question without knowing the path of the ductwork.
It can be hard to get a brush into a tee fitting.

Old 06-16-21, 11:19 AM
M
The path is pretty straight. I've used the fiberglass rods with the brush to clean it. The problem is pulling out the dryer and getting it back in. The duct exits on the roof about 20 feet above where the dryer is. My thought was to use the brush to push everything down to the T or lower if possible and then use a shop vac to go in the T and downward to suck up all the lint.

Old 06-16-21, 12:15 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,323 Upvotes on 2,066 Posts
I normally clean dryer ducts from the outside. Turn on the dryer so it's blowing air out. Then on the outside remove the damper and shove your cleaning brush & rod in while turning it (I use a cordless drill). You'll get a cloud of lint coming out so stand upwind.

Old 06-16-21, 12:20 PM
Group Moderator
Good idea from Dane.
One addition.... put your dryer on air fluff so no heat is activated during cleaning.

Old 06-16-21, 12:55 PM
M
I have a similar brush system as in the picture. I also had to buy an extension kit. I can give that a try, but the outside access is approx. 20 feet above the dryer and I would think gravity would be pushing the lint down.

Old 06-16-21, 01:14 PM
Group Moderator
Twenty feet above the dryer.... thru the roof ?

If that is the case then a tee behind the dryer could make sense. You could put a shop vac hose just into the tee and brush from above. When finished brushing.... send the shop vac hose down to the dryer 90.

2john02458 voted this post useful.
Old 06-16-21, 01:28 PM
M
Yes, it is around 20 feet. It is a 4 story townhouse. The laundry is on the 2nd floor and the vent is on the 4th floor roof deck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: