Blocked return vents

Old 07-23-21, 01:53 PM
P
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Blocked return vents

Hello All,
My problem is little weird, just moved to a townhouse.
The old owner (guess he was a contractor) renovated before selling.
Only after we moved in I noticed that he closed return vents (or neglected to cut vents).
As of now the house has only 1 return in the top floor.
The duct cleaning guy helped me cut one in basement.
I'm missing return vent in ground floor and only 1 in upper floor.
Is there any way to find where the return vents were?
How should i tackle this, the duct guy said that one of the upper room is always little hot as there are no return vents.

Any suggestion is appreciated.

Old 07-23-21, 03:12 PM
Received 1,211 Upvotes on 1,099 Posts
First floor should be easy assuming you have basement and can trace return ducts, second floor a bit harder but basement returns should give a clue to relative location!

Old 07-23-21, 10:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,139 Upvotes on 3,717 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Only after we moved in I noticed that he closed return vents (or neglected to cut vents).
That's a pretty serious issue. I'd be contacting the seller too.

No home inspection or was this missed ?

With an open basement the duct work should be easy to follow.
If the basement has been finished.... you may have a serious issue on your hands.

Old 07-24-21, 03:53 AM
Received 1,211 Upvotes on 1,099 Posts
That's a pretty serious issue.
I would not be overly concerned, we owned a home out west that had a single central air return right in the middle of the house with supply ducts to each room (air finds it's balance) and there was never an issue with performance or comfort!

Old 07-24-21, 04:53 AM
Received 729 Upvotes on 644 Posts
I tend to agree with Marq. But it should be addressed, if the heating and cooling seems to be OK, it's not necessarily a problem. In my house my wife has a bad habit of blocking almost every return grid with a piece of furniture. We never had a problem because of it.

Old 07-25-21, 05:43 AM
P
First floor should be easy assuming you have basement and can trace return ducts, second floor a bit harder but basement returns should give a clue to relative location!
As I mentioned the duct cleaning guy helped me to cut one in basement, which considerably improved the air down there. I tried to measure the distance to wall from the one in basement but somehow did not match with one in second floor.

Old 07-25-21, 05:49 AM
P
That's a pretty serious issue. I'd be contacting the seller too.
The seller was not so good, they replaced windows /door without approval from management and build a small planter using patio stones in the front. As this was just before the sale, they neglected to enter into Section 98C (adding to the title) we have to spend money and add it

No home inspection or was this missed ?
Our Agent did not add the inspection clause, he gave an unconditional offer.

With an open basement the duct work should be easy to follow.
If the basement has been finished.... you may have a serious issue on your hands.
That's what I'm counting on. The basement one's fixed thanks to the duct guy.

Old 07-25-21, 05:51 AM
P
I would not be overly concerned, we owned a home out west that had a single central air return right in the middle of the house with supply ducts to each room (air finds it's balance) and there was never an issue with performance or comfort!
One of the rooms in second floor is very stuffy and the air flow is minimal.
The duct guy said could be because of the missing return vent.
Not sure.

Old 07-25-21, 05:54 AM
P
I tend to agree with Marq. But it should be addressed, if the heating and cooling seems to be OK, it's not necessarily a problem. In my house my wife has a bad habit of blocking almost every return grid with a piece of furniture. We never had a problem because of it.
I had a guy came in and fix the furnace, he replaced the thermostat as well. He's coming after 2 weeks to check / clean the AC.

Whenever the compressor is on it makes a noise that is clearly heard in the basement too. I was initially planning to move in there with my workstations and all, but looks like i need to fix the issue first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: