Basic ways to reduce noise coming from a heat vent register?

Old 08-27-21, 03:29 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Basic ways to reduce noise coming from a heat vent register?

I have a bedroom that is almost directly above the furnace (electric furnace and heat pump system), and the noise coming from the wall register in that room is very loud compared to other rooms. I'm looking for the simplest way to block it at night to reduce the noise, while unblocking it in the morning so the room doesn't remain cold.

I asked the HVAC technician and he said to close the damper on the duct leading to that room; although it works well in reducing the strength of the air flow, it doesn't really cancel the noise. The register is old and the lever on it is stuck, so I bought those magnetic vent covers instead. Is this the best and safest way to do all this (adjusting damper to reduce the flow and magnetic covers to block the noise), this might look like a simple question but I didn't even know you could adjust the levers on the ducts before, so I might be missing some really obvious stuff. I'd rather have a solution other than blocking the register with a blanket.

Old 08-27-21, 03:32 PM
Received 1,211 Upvotes on 1,099 Posts
Something simple, throw a pillow over it!

Old 08-28-21, 10:58 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Past solution was putting a blanket on top of the register, but then there was a piece of the duct leading to that room that partially disconnected from the other duct (the tape between them split, was easy to repair but annoying). At the time I didn't adjust the damper (I didn't know about that), so maybe there was too much air pressure then. Maybe now after adjusting the damper maybe it will work better, I was asking because I might be overlooking something basic

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: