HRV Speed Control

Old 09-25-21, 05:40 AM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
HRV Speed Control

I have a Healthy Climate Solutions HRV (Model HRV3-200/Y2141), and the console that controls it is a Honeywell with nothing but ON/OFF and a humidity dial. We live in Winnipeg, Canada, where the winters are cold and dry, and in the summer we run A/C regularly. In the winters, our house tends to be quite dry, so we almost never run the HRV unit using the Honeywell controller. (In fact, sometimes we need to run a humidifier in winter.) However, the HRV unit is connected to electrical switches in each of four bathrooms: when using the bathroom for showering or bathing, we'll generally turn the bathroom HRV switch ON so it can remove humidity from the bathroom.

However, when a bathroom switch is on for HRV, the air movement is quite low, perhaps a result of the fact that the HRV is drawing air from more than just the bathroom where it's needed. Is it generally possible to increase the fan speed on an HRV when one of these bathroom HRV switches is ON? I'd rather have the HRV running at a higher speed for a shorter period to ensure that the moist air is removed quickly. My Honeywell humidistat has no control for fan speed. Would a different HRV console be the solution?

I'm not as concerned about the bathroom humidity in the winter, since, with the dry air, it should dissipate quickly; however, in the summer, it's more important to remove the humidity from the bathrooms.

One construction guy told me I should replace the HRV ventilation in the bathrooms with dedicated bathroom fans.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Wayne

Old 09-26-21, 01:22 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
An HRV stands for heated recovery ventilator. When it runs it discharges air outside from your bathrooms and brings treated air back into the house. This keeps the house from becoming negatively pressurized. That HRV is only 200 cfms which is pretty small for four rooms. I don't see any ability to change fan speeds. You may need to consider a larger unit.

A regular bathroom vent could move more air but it would need to draw in outside recovery air from somewhere in the house. Usually leaky windows or doors.

Old 09-27-21, 01:00 PM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You may need to consider a larger unit.
What cfps would you recommend?

Thanks for your help.

​​​​​​​Wayne

Old 09-27-21, 07:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
As a guess I'd say double what you have now.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: