Duct removal

Old 01-14-22, 03:20 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Duct removal

I have a straight 8 ft length of sheet metal duct which I need to remove in order to get access to add metal plates to a damaged joist.
Is it possible to do it without damaging the duct. One end is coming out of the main header with a 90 degree elbow and the other is connected to a bend going up to 2nd floor. I can remove the screws on both end.

I have never done it. Is it possible to slide it out from one end and wriggle it out from the other side wi

Pictures of both ends of the duct are attached.

Thanks for the help.

Old 01-16-22, 08:30 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,977 Upvotes on 1,772 Posts
No, You would likely need to slide either the left end or right end of the entire duct. It will need to be loosened, shifted away from the duct you want to remove until you have enough room to pull your section of duct out.

It's possible that you could drive off the joining splices from both ends and drop the center section out, depending on how they fastened the seams. But with no photos of a splice, it's hard to say if you could do that or not. Some splices slip together and are driven on the end, then driven together... other splices are driven on from the side. If you can unfold the corners of a splice and attach a closeup picture of what you see, we might be able to tell you for sure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: