Lennox Blower relay clicking off & on after clean

Old 07-14-22, 08:59 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lennox Blower relay clicking off & on after clean

17 yo Lennox blower fan has been whining and getting louder over the past week. Tonight I removed the blower assembly, took the motor apart, cleaned everything, blew the dust out of the motor windings, lubed the shaft and bearings, reassembled and reinstalled. On restart, power to the blower fan clicks off and on - about 1x per second - clicking sound on the circuit board (relays). Wondering what this means - did I short the wiring harness or the circuit board moving it around to get the blower housing out and back in? Maybe shorted the motor windings while disassembling, cleaning, & reassembling the motor? Was the noisy motor already going bad and I pushed it over the cliff with clean and lube? Motor/fan seems to spin freely and does spin up to a low speed under the intermittent power supply as long as I let it click and cycle off and on. Maybe the capacitor went bad when i discharged it and/or isn't working properly on restart? Whatever the issue is, I'd like to DIY the fix, but I don't know enough electrical to isolate/identify the cause. Any diagnostic suggestions much appreciated.

Old 07-15-22, 01:46 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Without pictures or a model number I don't know what you have there.
Is this an air handler or furnace ?

Messing around with the motor should not cause any relays to be clicking.
Doubtful it's a capacitor problem either.
When you opened the blower door.... the safety switch should have cut power.

How to insert pictures.

Old 07-18-22, 06:53 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thermostat!

PJ - thanks for your comments - I called in an HVAC guy the next morning and he diagnosed faulty thermostat. I would never have imagined that, but a new thermostat fixed the issue. I did turn off power before my work, but possibly moving wires around to get the motor out and back in somehow knocked out the thermostat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: