Washable furnace filter or not?

Old 01-05-23, 12:15 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Washable furnace filter or not?

Every year I buy 12pack of my furnace filters. Now it costs around $60 not 30. Since the price is doubled then I thought about washable filters. What do you think about them?

Old 01-06-23, 12:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,332 Upvotes on 2,991 Posts
How many do you use a year ? They should be good for several months.
I don't recommend washable filters.

Houston204 voted this post useful.
Old 01-09-23, 09:45 AM
T
How many do you use a year ?
I simply buy the cheapest 20x25x1 merv8. I replaced them once a 1-2/month. I never wait 3 months.
Previous owner wrote merv6 on furnace but I never found them.
So I use probably 8-10filters a year.

Norm201 voted this post useful.
Old 01-09-23, 07:08 AM
D
Received 28 Upvotes on 26 Posts
I had a washable filter in a previous home - never seemed like it got real clean. I had 2 so that I could put one in while the washable one was drying. After a few years I went back to the disposables and was happier.

Old 01-16-23, 04:14 PM
T
Any advice what to buy or where to buy?

Old 01-16-23, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
I buy a 12 pack. I change once a month regardless. Unless really clean Ill extend a month.

The ones that go behind the intake grill are nothing more then rock catchers as they call them. Keeps dirt off the coil.

The main issue with buying higher grade filters as merv rating and even pleated is they increse the static pressure and shorthen the life of your system. This is by clogging fast and /or already having a high static pressure to begin with..

My static pressure is a .44 with a new filter. Filter causes .14 added on.Max clogged filter resistance is a .5 My system doesnt want to see more then .7. So I can clog my filter up to an added .26. After that the variable speed fan trying to maintain 700 cfm will struggle, and years of that will shorten its life.

Cheap insurance??? Change the filters once a month.

I dont want to breath fiberglass so the only filters I use are the purolator poly filters. P312's. They are poly. The F312's are fiberglass, so they are a NO!! for me.

Im not affiliated with purolator. Just a 40 years tradesman/plumber

A box of 12 in my size runs about 40 bucks but I get contractor prices. I believe cregger sells to the public now.

https://www.purolatorairfilters.com/p312

purolated poly pleated.they now make but the initial static start pressure is like a 2.6. That filter will also clogg faster and i will lose when it comes to static pressure.

Most units installed in the usa already have a very high static pressure with no filter because the duct work in undersized, Then they add a pleated filter and BAM!!! Way over on the manufacturer specs for static pressure.

Why I dont use pleated

https://www.purolatorairfilters.com/...gth=20&depth=1

Last edited by lawrosa; 01-16-23 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-17-23, 04:33 PM
T
1)I need 20x25x1
After first few searches I understood there is no way to buy P312 poly filters from different website than yours
https://www.purolatorairfilters.com/...gth=25&depth=1
s
$80.40 for 12 pack
$13 shipping +possible tax
Total price would be over $100
and shipping date 2/13 ???
2) What tools do I need to check static pressure?
3) Is cregger some small hvac/plumbing company? It doesn't look like they sell anything online...
I live in IL
4)Your last link goes to pleated filter but I don't know "why" ?

Old 01-17-23, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Old 01-18-23, 06:16 AM
Received 648 Upvotes on 573 Posts
Pretty much what Lawrosa has said but without all the mumble jumble.
A filter is there to protect the innards from large particulate.
The filter does not filter the air you breath. If you want that then you get an airtight room with a HEPA rating.

The three main types of filtrations are mechanical, biological, and chemical filtration. Furnace filter only do the mechanical type.

Old 01-20-23, 02:21 PM
T
All Fergusson locations are out of stock. I'll wait..

Old 01-24-23, 10:39 AM
T
I've waited and it still out of stock everywhere around me. So today I finally called Fergusson, I explained what and why... He said they don't sell this model in this region and they won't ship it too. He was defending pleated filters and he was against everything I said (based on this thread). It kind of looked as if this filter is banned in IL.
It is impossible for me to buy P312.
I googled a little more to find any filter which is not pleated, not fiberglass and merv less than 8.
I found this one.
Is this filter similar to your P312 ?
I opened manual in pdf and it shows this filter doesn't stop household dust which I assume is not normal...

Old 01-24-23, 12:39 PM
FWIW...
I'm not Saying Lawroa's complaint about pleated filters is incorrect. But I think it's overstated. A pleated filter provides a larger surface area and therefore a wider area to collect debris in the same amount of space of a non-pleated surface. In fact, even a shop vac will use a pleated filter for the very same reason as almost all filtering apparatus do. Look at the filter in your lawn mower, or generator or car. All pleated. If your furnace was designed for a pleated filter, then use it. If not, then don't.
And I might add that the furnaces are designed to handle the increase in static pressure. In terms of efficiency, dollars and cents, the difference is very small.

As quoted from another source:

Pleated Air Filters Negative Aspects

Pleated vs non-pleated air filters tend to greatly restrict air flow due to density of material they are made of. They tend to increase energy consumption and can skyrocket your energy bill.
Pleated air filters might also require you to modify your HVAC system in order to accommodate them. Ultimately, they are typically 3 times more costly than traditional non-pleated filters.

And

Non-Pleated Air Filters Negative Aspects

Non-pleated air filters can only catch large debris and are ineffective against small particles. They are also very weak and have the lowest MERV rating available (less than 5). They must be replaced at a short time interval of around 30 days. This alone makes you waste precious time. To top it all, they are not a wise choice for allergy sufferers.

Old 01-26-23, 11:03 AM
T
ok.
So..
1. Allergy? I don't care
2. Replacement every month, that is fine
3. I'm thinking to try buying (look on the picture) Value or Basic for a month or two and see if there is difference in heating bill and if there is a dust on furniture.
What I don't want is a damaged furnace...

Old 01-26-23, 12:16 PM
What I don't want is a damaged furnace...
And that is what a filter will prevent!

Old 02-01-23, 12:43 PM
T
I finally bought 3 different Filtrete filters with lowest merv/fpr rating. I will be checking them out starting today. If I don't see any problems, any dust on furniture then it is the right filter.
I found a sticker on the other side of furnace from previous owner/hvac contractor.
I also finally opened furnace covers and found lots of dust and rust. Does it look normal?
Should I clean it with vacuum or is there anything else I should do?

Old 02-01-23, 01:12 PM
Go ahead and vacuum any loose debris. You might want to call in a HVAC contractor for cleaning. But make sure it's only for cleaning and don't let them talk you into a repair job.

Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM
T
I can vacuum myself. Is there anything I should disassemble to clean?

Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM
No. Unless you know tour way around the electronics and the gas jets. You don't want to upset or change any setting. If it looks really bad, call in a professional to do a cleaning.

Old Today, 11:54 AM
T
Cleaning costs $45 to $85 in my area. How complicated can it be if a company has to pay for technician labor and gas to get to me???

Old Today, 12:16 PM
That cost sounds reasonable.
It's not rocket science to clean a furnace. But you need to know what not to disturb. They can give that cost because it only takes less than 15 minutes to clean the gas jets and the hope that you will call them to do more and take the bait if they say something else is wrong. edit...Do a Google search for "how to clean a furnace".

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: