Master bedroom hot - don't see any thingys to shut off ducts...

Old 04-28-23, 06:56 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Master bedroom hot - don't see any thingys to shut off ducts...

Ok, when we bought this house, the previous owner told us that the master bedroom is always hot. I kept thinking I need to look at the ducts to see if I could find those things that can close off ducts. The first house my wife and I bought, the basement was unfinished and we could see the ducts and the levers that opened and closed ducts. This house is half basement half crawl space. I got up into the crawlspace today looking for those levers. I cannot find them. But, the ducts are all insulated. I'd think if there were levers, they'd leave a way to access them through the insulation. If not, I don't want to start ripping off all of the insulation looking for it. It's wrapped nice and I'd destroy it looking for it. Attached is a picture to give you all an idea. I'd imagine the levers would be towards where the largest duct goes down the center of the house and the smaller ducts break off of that. It would make sense to me you'd want to cut off the air closest to the source which would be as close to the biggest duct as possible.

Old 04-29-23, 01:14 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,319 Upvotes on 2,064 Posts
You can use grates that have a damper built in.

Old 04-29-23, 08:18 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I was told not to do it that way. Dont remember where i heard that advice. But, it would be better to close it off closer to the source if I could for efficiency.

Old 04-29-23, 12:29 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,319 Upvotes on 2,064 Posts
Dampers in the ducting are used to balance the airflow between different parts of the system on a semi fixed/permenant basis. The damper on the register is used for fine control and for seasonal control in each room.

Old 04-30-23, 03:23 AM
Received 1,211 Upvotes on 1,099 Posts
The dampers are typ right off the main trunk vs somewhere randomly along the branch!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: