HVAC contractor wanting to add return for downstairs AC upstairs

Old 06-25-23, 08:28 PM
T
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
HVAC contractor wanting to add return for downstairs AC upstairs

We are currently getting a quote from a HVAC contractor. We live in a 2 story house. We have 2 seperate HVAC systems. One for upstairs and one for downstairs. The HVAC contractor proposed we add a "new return" for the downstairs AC. He recommended 2 things.

1. We could put the return upstairs
2. We could essentially make the GRILL bigger on the existing return downstairs

Both options don't make sense to me so i wanted to get a second opinion here.

1. We could put the return upstairs
This seems like a bad idea
. If the upstairs has a different temp set ( say 78 ) and downstairs had a different temp ( say 73 ) it seems like this would cause the downstairs unit to have to work harder just to cool downstairs. This feels dumb and feels like a bad practice. Unfortunately this is a recommendation from him. Is this a bad idea?

2. We could essentially make the GRILL bigger on the existing return downstairs
I don't really understand how this would work. I don't think making the return opening ( the grill ) larger makes a difference. I looked up into the existing grill and it's a small wooden sealed tunnel ( I think it's a wall cavity being used as a return ) that makes it's way to the attic where there is duct work that connected it to the HVAC system. Will this even make a difference if the grill/opening is larger at the return?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: