Garage Ventilation

Old 06-27-23, 12:53 PM
N
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Garage Ventilation

With summer here, the garage is getting pretty hot and humid, additionally having old cars in there you get the smell of fuel etc. Looking into ventilation options and trying to determine the best route to take, but looking for advice before potentially spending money on things that are not going to be any good.

The garage is about 10,000 cu ft, assuming I want the air to be exchanged once every 10 minutes that puts me in the ballpark of wanting a fan rated at 1,000cfm. I don't know if I would want the air changed more or less than that 10 minutes, I am thinking of picking up something like this https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...4FKP16S5&psc=1 installing that in the drywall ceiling, then using duct to the gable end to exhaust the air outside rather than into the attic space. The attic has soffit and ridge venting as well as insulation.

The pieces I am not sure about are that the fan would essentially have that vent blowing upwards into the attic and the fan itself hanging out on the ceiling, but then needing to find ductwork to go over the back of the 14" fan in that it would need to be sealed on the rear in order to then vent out the gable ends.

Alternatively, I could look to install a 12" fan into the ceiling rated at 940cfm, then a 2nd fan installed in the attic gable end, this would let me skip the ductwork, but involve running a pair of fans instead of a single fan.

Thoughts?

Thank you.

Old 06-27-23, 01:14 PM
C
Received 182 Upvotes on 149 Posts
Why don't you just mount that fan in the wall as intended? If you want it in the ceiling, get a fan designed to connect to duct like one of the quiet cool models.

Whichever way you go, you will need another louvered opening to the outside to admit makeup air, otherwise you will starve the blower and depressurize the garage.

Old 06-27-23, 01:46 PM
N
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cinder block walls is the reason why I need to mount something in the ceiling, I'll look into those Quiet Cool fans, especially if they make adding ducting easier to vent the air outside instead of into the attic.

When you say another louvered opening, where would that go? As I put above, installing in the walls is not possible due to them being cinder block. Well, technically it likely is possible, but not something I can handle. The garage has a window that would be open to admit outside air, but maybe that is not enough.

Old 06-27-23, 05:12 PM
C
Received 182 Upvotes on 149 Posts
A window will likely be good enough, as long as you remember to open it when the fan is on. All the air the fan is exhausting has to come from somewhere....

I should have mentioned before that most areas require a garage fan that vents to the garage attic have a sensor that shuts off the fan and closes the louvers in case of fire; this is important to have if your local jurisdiction requires it. (and even if it doesn't IMO)

You may want to check out the "coolmygarage" site. I have no experience with their products but their site looks helpful.

Old 06-27-23, 06:02 PM
T
Received 76 Upvotes on 69 Posts
For inlet air you could just crack open the garage door a few inches, that what I do...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: